 CAD / 4124
Re: curved train track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 14:13:12 GMT

BTW, in case anyone hasn't guessed this, I've jumped into this thread in
order to make sure I understand exactly which variations of the rails have
which part numbers.  I need to know so that we can get the parts released
with the proper numbers.

In lugnet.cad, Frank Buiting wrote:

The grey pieces both have the number 3228 on them.

OK, so that would make the LDraw file for the older one (the slotted
version) 3228a.dat.  The non-slotted, non-tapered rail is newer, right?  So
that will be 3228b.dat, if it's ever modelled.

The blue track doesn't have a part number on it. It does have numbers on
them but those seem not related to the part itself (for example I have a
blue straight piece with the numbers 10-09 and another with 13-06).

Those other numbers are molding numbers -- at least some of them.  They're
there for quality control purposes, so TLC-niks can trace problems back to
the exact mold a piece came from.  I'm guessing the first number is the ID
for the complete die, and the second number identifies the individual mold
within the die (sorry if I'm using the wrong terms).

OK.  That's means it is possible that the existing part file (which models
the tapered rail) should *not* be 3228.dat, but some other number entirely.
If we can't confirm 3228 is the number for the tapered rail, we'll have to
move that one off to the realm of 3-digit numbering.

Right now, Manfred's rail part files are waiting for the next parts update,
but I need to confirm the correct part numbers.

Confirmed numbers (but the one-letter suffix may need to be adjusted):
3228   Train Track Slotted Rail Straight
3228   Train Track Plain Rail (not modelled yet)

Non-confirmed numbers:
3228A.DAT     Train Track Tapered Rail Straight
3229A.DAT     Train Track Tapered Rail Curved Outside
3229B.DAT     Train Track Slotted Rail Curved Outside
3230A.DAT     Train Track Tapered Rail Curved Inside

Can anyone help me by checking for part numbers on their plastic LEGO train
track rails?

Steve