 CAD / 12816
  What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial

I whould love to do my LEGO TECHNIC sets also in ldraw but I found it hard and bit complex to do. So what if someone does a tutorial for me or anyone that want's to have their TECHNIC sets in Ldraw format? I don't mind if the tutorial is showing how (...) (19 years ago, 6-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial

(...) Hi Eduardo, Technic models are complex to design, build and draw. What is it you find difficult? Maybe if you ask some specific questions, I (or someone else) can help you. Creating a tutorial however is a lot of work. I think you would be (...) (19 years ago, 6-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial

(...) Hi Eduardo, All the models I enter are technic. Compared to brick building, technic is much harder. With the standard bricks, everthing is turned multiples of 90 degrees, and studs line up parallel to the x,y, or z axis. Jaco is right, it (...) (19 years ago, 6-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial

(...) Select the part you want it to pivot around then select the rest. It will always pivot around the pivot point of the first item selected. (...) You can make it visible and draggable with the mouse. (...) Down 2 LDU :) (19 years ago, 6-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial

I personally use Submodels a lot for rotated sections. If you place the rotation pin/point at origo in the submodel, you can leave the rotation point at "parts origin" when you insert it in the level above. If there's something at an odd angle in (...) (19 years ago, 7-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial

(...) Yes, submodels are also a great way to go. The trick is getting them added with the proper orientation with respect to the pin/axle to which you are attaching. This is the same with groups. Kevin (19 years ago, 7-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial

(...) But, rotations are limited to parallel to the X,Y and Z planes, so I don't think you are addressing what I'm talking about. Imagin you had an axle that is at 45 degrees in the XY plane, and you have a biped leg you want to rotate around the (...) (19 years ago, 7-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial

(...) It oughtn't be too hard to do that. You just use the pin to define your normal vector and then just work backwards from the projection to work out the rotation matrix. I noticed today that MLCad already seems to have a routine to calculate (...) (19 years ago, 7-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad.mlcad, FTX)

  Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial

(...) Admittedly, I have oft wished for the ability to create custom rotation buttons so I could make X,Y,Z buttons for 11.25,15,22.5,27.125,30 and 45 degree rotations to accomodate the rotation angles of various technic parts... But I still love (...) (19 years ago, 7-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad.mlcad, FTX)

  Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial

(...) Our lurking friend WIlly Tschager mentioned that he has a tutorial on rotations in MLCad. www.holly-wood.it/ml...on-en.html It looks good Willy! Thanks! Kevin (19 years ago, 7-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial

(...) Mine settings are movement Large Move(XYZ)=10 Rotate(XYZ)=22.5 Medium Move(XYZ)=1 Rotate(XYZ)=15 Fine Move(XYZ)=0.001 Rotate(XYZ)=0.5 I spend most of my time in Medium and do ultrafine adjustments in Fine. I do occasionally (namely when (...) (19 years ago, 7-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial

(...) That's not true. It is true that doing rotations around arbitrary axes requires a lot more understanding of what's going on, but MLCAD allows you to define the full 3D vector around which the rotation happens, so you can rotate in any plane. (...) (19 years ago, 8-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial

(...) Yeah, that would be great although you usually have to enter angles manually most of the time. What would be even cooler was custom grid buttons: So I don't have to change the default grid values each time I swich from working with models to (...) (19 years ago, 8-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad.mlcad, FTX)

  Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial

(...) Agreed, why is all the good stuff hidden like that? There ought to be a link from the MLCad homepage to this! BTW, if you're lurking Willy, I can't see there's any link from (URL) to it, so how on earth are people going to find it? On a side (...) (19 years ago, 8-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial

(...) I think I forgot mentioning this yesterday, but that is excactly the point where it's practical to use submodels: Make a submodel with the axle and the biped leg. In the main model you turn the axle/submodel (45 degrees), and in the submodel (...) (19 years ago, 8-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial

(...) dear friends, kevin made me notice that the LTT has resigned. looks like lugnet went back to its roots and the circumstances for my leaving are no longer valid - hopefully? (...) because this is just a beta version I wrote in april. the final (...) (19 years ago, 8-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial

(...) Travis, I understand 3D rotation matricies enough to know that they let you rotate around any axis, but I think MLCad's GUI only lets you rotate about, X, Y, or Z, because of limitations of its user interface. Michael has meta-commands for (...) (19 years ago, 8-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial

(...) I was actually referring to the current MLCad interface. In the keyboard entry rotation dialog (Edit->Rotate->Keyboard Entry), you can specify a full rotation vector, plus rotation angle. Specifying a vector with 1 or -1 in the X, Y, or Z axis (...) (19 years ago, 8-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial

(...) Not just a mouse, but Edit / Rotate / Keyboard Entry allows you to enter a full rotation matrix (among other things). Of course you need to know what matrix values to enter to get your desired result, but it's there in the GUI. (...) Yes, that (...) (19 years ago, 8-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial

(...) The new unpublished LSynth deals with this without any extra information. I use and LDraw file to desribe how to translate/rotate parts to the assumed default position/orientation. LSynth limits pulleys and gears to be planar. It also assumes (...) (19 years ago, 9-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)