 CAD / MLCad / 2087
Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:06:23 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Timothy Gould wrote:

For me, the biggest issues is rotations. Technic allows for many more orientation angles than the standard brick. Rotating about X,Y, and Z axiz are pretty good, but I usually have to adjust the “fine” grid settings rotation to something like 1 degree. Also I typically set the fine moement settings much smaller than the default.

It sure would be nice to have a few more setting levels.

One problem with technic designes is that axis of rotation are often not parallel to the X,Y or Z planes. I use GROUPS to collect all parts related to a rotation axis, so they are easy to work with. Then I rotate them so the rotation axis is parallel to one of the X,Y, or Z axis’. From there, I rotate the group the amount needed. I then have to reverse the original rotations to get the group oriented back to the original rotation axis.

It sure would be nice to be able to pick an axle or pin, and use that to define a rotation axis. From there you could rotate the group clockwise or counter clockwise.

It oughtn’t be too hard to do that. You just use the pin to define your normal vector and then just work backwards from the projection to work out the rotation matrix. I noticed today that MLCad already seems to have a routine to calculate these rotations. I’m guessing it is using the matrix exponential of a cross-product (SO_3 matrix) for this.

I spend a lot of time managing the rotation point.... being able to move it small increments by the keyboard might help, but I’ve never studied MLCad enough to know if it already exists.

The width and height ratio stuff that LEGO is famous for is also a problem in technic. Getting pins and axles precisely in the holes is a tough task, especially if the axis of the pin is not parallel to X, Y, Z.

It would be great if you could choose to move in the current rotated basis set. Eg. If you are moving a part with a rotation matrix 0.866 0.5 0 -0.5 0.866 0 0 0 1 then you can move in the basis set defined by (0.866,0.5,0), (-0.5,0.866,0), (0,0,1) in unit steps (which is probably fine enough and would move you relative to the piece you are attaching to).

Just a few thoughts...

Tim

Admittedly, I have oft wished for the ability to create custom rotation buttons so I could make X,Y,Z buttons for 11.25,15,22.5,27.125,30 and 45 degree rotations to accomodate the rotation angles of various technic parts... But I still love MLCad, and I still use Blender for handling animations.