 CAD / MLCad / 2085
Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 17:26:03 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Dean Earley wrote:
  One problem with technic designes is that axis of rotation are often not
parallel to the X,Y or Z planes.  I use GROUPS to collect all parts related to a
rotation axis, so they are easy to work with.  Then I rotate them so the
rotation axis is parallel to one of the X,Y, or Z axis'.  From there, I rotate
the group the amount needed.  I then have to reverse the original rotations to
get the group oriented back to the original rotation axis.

  It sure would be nice to be able to pick an axle or pin, and use that to
define a rotation axis.  From there you could rotate the group clockwise or
counter clockwise.

Select the part you want it to pivot around then select the rest.
It will always pivot around the pivot point of the first item selected.

But, rotations are limited to parallel to the X,Y and Z planes, so I don't think
you are addressing what I'm talking about.

Imagin you had an axle that is at 45 degrees in the XY plane, and you have a
biped leg you want to rotate around the axle.  Rotation about X, Y, or Z does
not help you here.

Is my understanding off base, or are you answering a question I didn't ask?

  I spend a lot of time managing the rotation point....  being able to move it
small increments by the keyboard might help, but I've never studied MLCad enough
to know if it already exists.

You can make it visible and draggable with the mouse.

I understand this, but the mouse is not always the greatest, and is not what I
was talking about.  There are times where I'd like to be able to move the
rotation point around like any other part, thus allowing incremental fixed
length movements.

  The width and height ratio stuff that LEGO is famous for is also a problem in
technic.  Getting pins and axles precisely in the holes is a tough task,
especially if the axis of the pin is not parallel to X, Y, Z.

Down 2 LDU :)

With rotations, the pin/axle holes are not necessarily on a nice grid boundary.

Dean, I can't tell from you answers if you were really trying to be helpful, or
just goofing around.

Kevin (is it April Fool's Day?)