 Announcements / 758
  New LUGNET Feature: Crossword Puzzles

Hi all, I've made an interactive crossword puzzle on a web page here at LUGNET. You'll notice by the clues that it's made with the LEGO enthusiast in mind. It runs in Java and has features for checking your puzzle as you go and for help filling in (...) (24 years ago, 8-Sep-00, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.fun) !!

  Re: New LUGNET Feature: Crossword Puzzles

It is fun!! Now I will have something to do at work :-) Jude Of course I am talking about lunch <grin> (...) (24 years ago, 8-Sep-00, to lugnet.fun)

  Re: New LUGNET Feature: Crossword Puzzles

(...) Thanks, Suz! Java games are always welcome on Friday afternoons. :) Seems to be a good mix of "easy" starters and hard ones. <hint for puzzlers: 6 Down is *not* minifig...> James (24 years ago, 8-Sep-00, to lugnet.fun)

  Re: New LUGNET Feature: Crossword Puzzles

This looks *great*, and I love crossword puzzles, but... (...) on my browser, but I sure can't find it... <frown>... should I pass this on to the geeks?... ;-) I guess I'll use the printable version for now. Great stuff! -Shiri (24 years ago, 9-Sep-00, to lugnet.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: New LUGNET Feature: Crossword Puzzles

(...) -Chris (24 years ago, 9-Sep-00, to lugnet.fun)

  Re: New LUGNET Feature: Crossword Puzzles

(...) Thanks so much, Suz. The range of difficulty was just right, IMHO. What are your thoughts about allowing members to rate the difficulty for future puzzlers? I suppose if an archive of past puzzlers is created at some time, it might be nice to (...) (24 years ago, 9-Sep-00, to lugnet.fun)

  Re: New LUGNET Feature: Crossword Puzzles

Nice job Suzanne, I enjoyed this quite a bit. I'm not too good at crossword puzzles, but I enjoyed this one. How hard can it be, if you can just click on one that you are having trouble with and click "reveal"? :-) I loved it. -Andy Lynch ----- (...) (24 years ago, 9-Sep-00, to lugnet.fun, lugnet.general)

  Re: New LUGNET Feature: Crossword Puzzles

I liked it. I thought it was hard, but that's because I'm used to American-style crosswords where every white square has two clues. This is set up like an English-style cryptic crossword, except that, fortunately, the clues are not cryptic! I liked (...) (24 years ago, 9-Sep-00, to lugnet.fun)

  (canceled)

  Crossword 002

Hello again! Thanks for the helpful and encouraging comments. Thanks too to Todd L. who has been a patient tester for my attempts at clue writing. (...) [...] (24 years ago, 19-Sep-00, to lugnet.fun) !

  Re: Crossword 002

(...) That was fun, Well I guess I might as well get back to work :-) Thanks a lot Suz. Jude (24 years ago, 19-Sep-00, to lugnet.fun)

  Re: New LUGNET Feature: Crossword Puzzles: Won't fit

Great Boxer. Three letters. Hmmm ... "Ed" just won't seem to fit. -- Pawel (24 years ago, 22-Sep-00, to lugnet.fun)

  Re: Crossword 002

(...) Hi Suzanne! I love the crossword feature, though I think it's time for a new one. I was wondering: When we can expect to see puzzle #003? Especially since it is located in a prominent spot on the LUGNET site, posting a new puzzle about every (...) (24 years ago, 25-Dec-00, to lugnet.fun)

  Re: Crossword 002

I agree. I would like to be producing these once per week. I took up quite a bit of time in building an American-style crossword as 003. Such a grid is much more difficult to fill. Then I wrote up all the clues for it (about 75). Just as I was (...) (24 years ago, 25-Dec-00, to lugnet.fun)

  Re: Crossword 002

(...) Bummer. I hope you saved it! I don't suppose the word is one where the misspelling is a common variant or common mistake? I once saw a puzzle where the clue was of the form "common misspelling of the word that means x", which means to me that (...) (24 years ago, 25-Dec-00, to lugnet.fun)

  Re: Crossword 002

Ah! Those are great ideas. thanks. It is commonly misspelled (I think), it got by three people. But heck, with such a grid you get two clues per square and the other one is easy. My x-word software has acronym help built in. I'll try that too. The (...) (24 years ago, 26-Dec-00, to lugnet.fun)

  Re: Crossword 002

(...) slang. (...) I think he's right they're probably not a problem. If it makes you feel any better about it I just worked a Sunday New York Times crossword in the last week (not their current puzzle, but #36 in the Sunday NYT Collection V.22) in (...) (24 years ago, 27-Dec-00, to lugnet.fun)

  New Crossword Puzzle: 003

Hi all, I've made another interactive crossword puzzle here at LUGNET. You'll notice by the clues that it's made with the LEGO enthusiast in mind. It runs in Java and has features for checking your puzzle as you go and for help filling in words that (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jan-01, to lugnet.fun, lugnet.general, lugnet.announce) !

  Re: New Crossword Puzzle: 003

Thanks! I can't wait to do it. (And I thought I was getting ready to go to bed :) Thomas (23 years ago, 16-Jan-01, to lugnet.fun)

  Re: New Crossword Puzzle: 003

(...) Thanks for the cool puzzle! It was trickier than previous ones, and while I won't spoil it for anyone reading this, I wish it had more Space refereces (SW doesn't count). I think I suggested it before: have each newsgroup do a puzzle. Once a (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jan-01, to lugnet.fun)

  Re: New Crossword Puzzle: 003

The crossword puzzles are EXCELLENT. My mother recently moved to Indiana (I'm in Colorado) and I usually chat with her when I'm online. Last night, I showed her the crossword puzzle and we worked on it together. She's not a LEGO fan, but the puzzle (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jan-01, to lugnet.fun)

  Re: New Crossword Puzzle: 003

(...) While I like the idea you've suggested, I'm still a bit wary of narrowing down the wordlists for any particular puzzle. First because it would make it more difficult to fill the grids (we're teetering on the edge now), and secondly because I (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jan-01, to lugnet.fun)

  Re: New Crossword Puzzle: 003

(...) I hear ya... I put together one for castle just for kicks-- it was tough to get things that were ONLY castle related... But mainly it looks pretty ugly... Definitely not on par with the 3 existing ones-- totally asymmetric and full of (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jan-01, to lugnet.fun)

  Re: New Crossword Puzzle: 003

(...) Thanks, Suz! Every little thing that relieves some stress is a bonus! But I had a bit of trouble with this one, I'd never come across the spelling "damosel". I've always spelt it "damsel". Where does the alternative spelling come from? (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jan-01, to lugnet.fun)

  Re: New Crossword Puzzle: 003

(...) It's a more archaic spelling, IIRC, and usually used in plays or poems where it fits the meter & rhythm better than just 'damsel'. According to dictionary.com, its etymology is thus: Middle English damoisele, from Old French damoiselle, from (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jan-01, to lugnet.fun)

  Re: New Crossword Puzzle: 003

(...) Thanks for answering, Jeff. I should have indicated such in my clue. -Suz (23 years ago, 25-Jan-01, to lugnet.fun)