 Animation / 50
Re: "2001: A Lego Odyssey" - A New Lego Movie!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation, lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.build, lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 03:56:20 GMT

Hey Jonathan,

I'm glad you were finally able to watch the movie - I know you had trouble
downloading it. And of course I'm even happier you appreciated it so much! Yes,
it was a lot of work, but it was also a lot of fun. I love reading all the
positive comments I've been getting!

Regarding the final part of the movie: In the original, it's somewhat confusing
as well. While one can read a lot of things into it, the consensus seems to be
that the main character travles through a worm hole and is held by the alien
civilization that made the monolith. He is held in a white room with Victorian
style decorations. He sees himself age, and is eventually transformed into a
new type of being, the so-called "star-child". Many view this as depicting the
next step of human evolution, but Stanley Kubrick left this part purposefully
very unclear.

In my movie, instead of seeing the main character age, we see Lego age
(symbolically): We see one of the most recent incarnations of Lego, the
Mindstorms line (as symbolized by the RCX brick). We then see what I hope will
be a "rebirth" of Lego, Lego returning to its roots, so to speak, in the form
of a basic red brick. In a way, this is the Lego equivalent of the "star
child".

Don't expect a continuation. I think the movie as it is stands by itself. The
continuation of the original 2001 movie, 2010, wasn't all that great and I
don't  want to make the same mistake. I'm  thinking that my next project will
be a  horror comedy with a lot of skeletons in it... :)

Lastly, I'm glad you liked the spaceship. It's quite simple, really, but I have
already dismantled it...

Regards,
-- Marc

In lugnet.publish.cinema, Jonathan Mizner writes:
To make the 17th reply, YOUR MOVIE IS AWESOME!  I haven't had a chance to
see the original yet (although I have read the book), but your expert use of
a camera, and the plotline, made it beyond words.  Of course, some people
cannot appreciate the quality, depth, and hard work that went into that
movie.  Overall, the high points of it in my opinion was the brick-wall
scene, that really cool spaceship (please post better pictures of it- I
would like to see the engine assembly in detail), and the monolith
transforming into a Mindstorms computer (why???  Is that something in the
movie?).  I sincerely hope that you will make a continuation of this movie.
Great job!