 Animation / 32
Re: "2001: A Lego Odyssey" - A New Lego Movie!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 03:22:33 GMT

Marc Atkin wrote:

Hey Joe,

Although my camera also has a "green screen" option, I didn't use it for the
movies (so I can't judge whether or not your camera sucks :). I used the green
screen option provided by Final Cut Pro, a high-end ($1000) movie editing
package for the Mac. Even so, I'm not totally satisfied with the results. Final
Cut Pro has lots of settings you can adjust, but it was still hard to make only
the background and not the actual image transparent. Especially shadows cast by
the image on the green screen were a problem. For the green screen I used
pieces of green poster board.

Let me know if you can figure out something that works better!

If I remember right, blue or green screens used in movies are backlit or something
so that shadows don't show up on them.  I've had the same problem, and it takes a
lot of editing with the 'magic wand' selector in Painter to get rid of the
background and not the foreground.  I've been pondering experimenting with
different lighting to 'fill in' the shadows and thus lessen the problem.