 Animation / 76
Re: "2001: A Lego Odyssey" - A New Lego Movie!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:18:06 GMT

In lugnet.publish.cinema, Jason J. Railton writes:
Wow!  Marc, that was absolutely fantastic.  I showed it around and work, and
people loved it.  Utterly brilliant.

Hey, thanks!

But, I have a question - what exactly is in the silhouette picture that pops
up during the monolith sequence?

I thought that the point of the end of the film is that the LEGO minifig is
finally shown a regular sized standard brick (they've all been scaled down
up until then), revealing to him that he too is LEGO, as is the whole
universe he inhabits.  Thus he is given the power to shape and build without
guidance.  Or something.

If you are referring to the part I think you are referring to, the thing that
fades over the monolith is the RCX brick. It's always cool when people have
their own interpretations (I like yours!), but this message summarizes what I
was thinking when I did that part:

http://news.lugnet.com/publish/cinema/?n=50

Just goes to show that if you make something weird and abstract enough, people
will find all kinds of meaning in it! :)

<SPOD>Being a nit-picking sci-fi nut, the 1980 LEGO isn't very accurate.  I
can see that the whole timescale thing is a little skewed for the narrative,
and I did think the contemporary scene with the monolith in the woman's
house was quite amusing.  I would guess that the 1980 scene was about the
introduction of the minifig themes and technical Lego, but it included
pieces that weren't actually introduced for another twenty years.</SPOD>

Ah, yes. I though someone on Lugnet might pick up on that... Ideally, the
1980's segment would have been made with just 1980's bricks. Thing is, I
really don't have that many bricks, and the ones from my childhood are
thousands of miles away in my mother's basement... :( Probably molding away...
:( :( So I compromised and used more modern bricks. But, since the "Dawn of
Lego" segment was made with bricks that weren't around in the 1960's as well, I
didn't feel too bad. I was careful (I thought, correct me if I'm wrong) to use
age-appropriate bricks in the monolith base close-ups...

-- Marc