 Adventurers / 1974
Re: A Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 00:18:47 GMT

In lugnet.adventurers, Chris Paton wrote:
Perhaps if Indiana Jones 4 becomes a reality LEGO might be
inspired/encouraged/forced into producing something new?

I asked about this at the last NY Toy Fair, and I was told that they aren't
planning any new Adventurers sets, but they also aren't planning to drop the
theme entirely.  It's just a matter of them coming up with ideas that they want
to run with.  Alpha Team has also been released in non-consecutive years.  My
hope is that this means that when they get the ability to start churning out new
Space themes, they'll continue to revisit the more successful subthemes
(particularly Cool Blacktron) rather than constantly trying to come up with
completely new factions every year.

That Johnny Thunder fella gets around and unfortunately he took a round the
world trip in way too short a time.  I don't think the Jungle theme has been
explored too well.  If you remove the dinosaurs then maybe pygmies and
cannibals could be introduced?

Well, with the Ewok legs, they could possibly do pygmies, as long as they
painted loincloths on them, but cannibals seem a bit too un-LEGO-like.

Or, remaining in the Orient/Asia then Mongol hordes on horseback could be
interesting.  Hell, I'll be happy if he returns to the desert!

I've recently discussed this with a friend of mine, and his opinion on Johnny
Thunder is that the whole theme is basically a throwback to the old pulp fiction
days (which were what inspired Indiana Jones, of course), so with that in mind,
I proposed that they could put him in such settings as Greco-Roman ruins,
Atlantis, and the African savannah.  He was looking at how JT could be combined
with other themes, such as Pirates.