 Adventurers / 1957
Re: A Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 04:19:24 GMT

In lugnet.adventurers, Ken Bailey wrote:
   Ok Guys, its been too quiet around here, so I thought I’d try and generate some debate.

So far I have not seen any leaks for what might be coming out next year, so, the question is . . . . . . Do you think LEGO might release some more sets in the current sub-themes ?

Personally, I think the Asian theme could be padded out a little. Now, I can’t think of anything extra that could be released in the Himalaya/Everest sub-theme, but what I would like to see to round out this theme a little is a Chinese temple to match the Indian temple and some kind of Indian fortress to match the Chinese dragon fortress. One other model that cries out to be released would be a Pagoda.

How about it guys, can you think of any other sets that could be released to improve this theme ?

Ken,

I’ve been reading the other replies to your post. I like the idea of Atlantis, but I think the idea was (over)done by Disney with their movie just a few years ago. Time travel should be left to the Time-Cruisers (Twisters).

I had already constructed my version of a Pagoda (http://www.brickshelf.org/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=98550) which I wanted to build ever since I first saw the Orient (Himalaya) sets. That said, I don’t think that TLG will produce any more sets in the Orient theme (too much of their inventory became clearance/sales items). If they did, I’d hope for a set to reflect the Great Wall of China, or they could move the expedition south to Shanghai, Hong Kong, Thailand, etc., or then again, north to Russia.

Of course, this is not to say that the Adventurers theme is dead.

Consider this: Johnny Thunder and his friends have been to these locales:
  1. African desert (Egypt)
  2. Amazon jungle (South America)
  3. Dino Island (???)
  4. The Far East (India / Tibet (Nepal) / China

Now, where else in the world could they travel to? Well.... how about these suggestions: (in no particular order)

Australia: We have Crocs already. New parts could include: Kangaroos, Koalas, Lizards, Aboriginies, etc. (Crikey! Isn’t Johnny Thunder supposed to be from Oz anyway?)

North America: Ties to the Western and Native American themes; How about a Grizzly bear? (a polar bear in BROWN), Wolves, Eagles, etc. Canadian timberline, eh?

Europe: Spain / France / Germany / Holland / Denmark / Great Britain: Lots of ties to Castles, Windmills, half-timbered houses, etc. (How about an adventure in Billund?) Also... let’s not forget Greece / Italy, etc. Any simple set with some good ancient/medieval architecture should be a good seller. (On that note, a “UCS” version of a historic building/monument would also be a welcome treat!)

Japan: Bring back the Ninjas, Samurais, fish accents on roofs, etc. (These sets always seem to bring high prices on Ebay.)

African Jungle: Gorillas, Lions, Hippos would be new and welcome parts. A horse with stripes can become a Zebra. Let Johnny go on a Safari!

Antarctica: Bring back some of those Arctic suits. How about an Icebreaker ship? Penguins, anyone? (Perhaps Alpha Team has taken this idea already.)

Pacific Islands: With subtle ties to Pirates, Islanders, Tikis, Palm trees, Sailing (and Steam) ships, Clipper planes, etc.

These are a few of my thoughts. Most are economical ideas, as TLC should still have the molds for parts requiring a color change or other minor modification. Come on, TLC...feel free to use my ideas to produce something simple and neat. All I ask in return is one set of each of these you produce! :-) In the meantime, I’ll press on with my own Adventurers MOCs.

Thanks for the post, Ken.

Is anyone else out there??? What do you think?

Back to building...
Nelson

P.S. “Underwater Thunder”... Hmmmm...