 Adventurers / 1961
Re: A Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:49:47 GMT

In lugnet.adventurers, Nelson Yrizarry wrote: snip
   I had already constructed my version of a Pagoda
snip

Yes I saw that when you first posted, just hadn’t had a good look at it yet. Looks good, I might try and produce one myself later.

snip
   I’d hope for a set to reflect the Great Wall of China, or they could move the
   expedition south to Shanghai, Hong Kong, Thailand, etc., or then again,
north to Russia.
Snip

But what would they discover ? what kind of treasure or unusual items could LEGO use as the hook.

snip (with replies)
   Now, where else in the world could they travel to? Well.... how about these suggestions: (in no particular order)

Australia: We have Crocs already. New parts could include: Kangaroos, Koalas, Lizards, Aboriginies, etc. (Crikey! Isn’t Johnny Thunder supposed to be from Oz anyway?)

Again, I can’t think of what LEGO could use for the hook, what would they be discovering ? In Egypt it was treasure from the Pharoah, the Amazon was Inca type treasure, Dino was the dinosaurs and the Orient was the treasure of Marco Polo.

North America: Ties to the Western and Native American themes; How about a Grizzly bear? (a polar bear in BROWN), Wolves, Eagles, etc. Canadian timberline, eh?

Could be good for new animals, and the hook could be something like discovering the remains of an old Viking settlement (Vikings COULD have discovered America).

   Europe: Spain / France / Germany / Holland / Denmark / Great Britain: Lots of ties to Castles, Windmills, half-timbered houses, etc. (How about an adventure in Billund?) Also... let’s not forget Greece / Italy, etc. Any simple set with some good ancient/medieval architecture should be a good seller. (On that note, a “UCS” version of a historic building/monument would also be a welcome treat!)

There are so many legends about the European region that they could keep that going for several years, the treasure of Charlmagne, relics from El Cid, anything to do with King Arthur, explore Stonehenge or another similar site. They could even discover something in one of the European mountain ranges, or excavate a Viking site in the Norway/Denmark/Sweden area.

   Japan: Bring back the Ninjas, Samurais, fish accents on roofs, etc. (These sets always seem to bring high prices on Ebay.)

Yes, I would like something from here, I missed out when the Ninja sets were released (a mini dark age)

   African Jungle: Gorillas, Lions, Hippos would be new and welcome parts. A horse with stripes can become a Zebra. Let Johnny go on a Safari!

Again there are all sorts of legends (and even fiction) that could be used here. Think of some of the stuff H. Rider Haggard has wrote, a theme based on the film version of “She” could be good, if I remember right, that film had a lot of old Greek/Roman style buliding facades and her army/guard wore Greek/Roman style armour.

   Antarctica: Bring back some of those Arctic suits. How about an Icebreaker ship? Penguins, anyone? (Perhaps Alpha Team has taken this idea already.)

What could be discovered here ? some kind of lost civilisation maybe ?

   Pacific Islands: With subtle ties to Pirates, Islanders, Tikis, Palm trees, Sailing (and Steam) ships, Clipper planes, etc.

Again, I suppose some of the old (think phonecian) adventurers could have originally discovered the islands.

All good ideas, and I know there are heaps more that I haven’t thought of, now I suppose, it’s wait for one of the toy fairs and pray that we get a preview so we have something to look forward to.

Ken