 Administrative / Terms of Use / 608
Re: New Terms of Use for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 21:41:29 GMT

Hi David,

thank you very much for your suggestions.

In lugnet.admin.terms, David Eaton wrote:
If you are under 18 years of age, ask your parent(s) or guardian(s) for
permission before using LUGNET and make sure they have read and understood
this Terms of Use document.

I realize that this was in the old version of the document, however I think it
might be good to change it to be a bit more proactive. As in "By posting, if you
are under 18, you are acknowledging that you have your parent or guardian's
permission to do so, or are capable of being legally responsible for yourself."
That could be worded better, I think, but basically very explicitly requiring
parental permission. Essentially, they could still comply with the rules as
written now, and *ask* their parents but get *refused* and still post just fine.

I guess I catch it. Well, the basically (and let's face it: the theoretically)
requirement is: "By using LUGNET, be at least 18 years old. Otherwise ask your
parents for permission". If they ask, get refused and still post: That's fine,
but I'm not responsible. IF something happens, it depends on actual age of them
whether they're legally responsible for theireselves or the parents are
responsible. But not me. So I'm more safe if I don't limit it to posting in the
groups and in addition it's not allowed to talk to children into believing I
could hold them liable, since in fact, this is not the case by all means.

Of course, if I misconceived your words, LMK!

By posting messages, uploading files, inputting data, or engaging in any
other form of communication through this service, you are granting LUGNET a
perpetual, irrevocable, royalty- free, unrestricted, non-exclusive, worldwide
license to use, copy, publish, archive, restore, or display any such
communication in any medium online and offline.

Previously, there were two bits that always made me nervous, but were considered
to be important:

1) "adapt".  Technically, when LUGNET shows the "condensed" view of a post, it
may be considered to be "adapting" the post by automatically quoting *part* of
the message. As I understand it, "adapt" is meant to cover adaptation to various
mediums, where necessary. Hence, if some sort of new technology came along that
required LUGNET to adjust people's posts in order to "display" them, it's ok.

Would be "to quote (including in extracts)" an acceptable alternative?

2) "sub-license". I think (as indicated elsewhere) that this was intended
initially to allow Todd & Suzanne the ability to license LUGNET content to a
publisher, who could produce something like a Lego-related book, or (as Todd had
mentioned, I think) a "best-of-LUGNET" CD. However, it may also be useful in
terms of displaying LUGNET's posts elsewhere. Say (for example) that LUGNET were
to feed another Lego site with an RSS feed, such that the other site was able to
publish LUGNET's data. "Sub-license" would cover that.

Makes sense. But maybe it would discomfit less by using "sub-license under the
LUGNET brand" or so?

I think the question I (and others) may have is: what happens when something of
this nature comes up? If there is something which glorifies violence, are you
legally required to proactively remove the content?

Well, if it's REALLY glorifying violence as more accurately described here:
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/terms/?n=607
At such a case I'm basically required to remove it. But: "Without plaintiff no
judge".

What happens if you don't?

If nobody complains: Nothing. Otherwise, there are several options:

- The complainer could press charges at the police. This would cause me paying a
fine (but I doubt the amount would have more than two digits prior to comma) and
I had to remove the content in question, of course.

- The complainer could try to impose a cease-and-desist order/warning by an
advocate. This would be much more nasty. But I probably would refuse it and go
to law. (Receiving such an cease-and-desist order/warning would connote that I
was referred to the subject matter but haven't considered it as unlawful)

Another question, related: LUGNET does not actually host images which are
displayed in FTX, it merely facilities their display by automatically directing
the browser to another host. If violence-glorifying information is displayed on
LUGNET via a 3rd party, is this something that LUGNET is liable for?

Unfortunately, yes.

Do not post information or material for commercial purposes which is not