 Administrative / Terms of Use / 600
Re: New Terms of Use for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:55:44 GMT

In lugnet.admin.terms, Rene Hoffmeister wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.terms, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.terms, Rene Hoffmeister wrote:

Changes in “DISCUSSION GROUP TERMS AND CONDITIONS”

  1. Section 5 (old) is now section 4 (new). Addition: Do not post or transmit information which is glorifying violence.

Hey Rene,

Things look pretty good. Could we have a clarification on “glorifying violence”? Many (most?) official themes and AFOL MOCs have a level of violence, whether it be knights with swords, pirates with cannons, or space ships with lasers. Brikwars, for instance, is all about plastic violence, and many (myself included) have posted battle scenes with severed heads and trans-red plates on the ground for blood. At what point does something “glorify violence” in an unacceptable way?

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

that’s a well justified question.

Basically, this astriction arised out of the German “Protection of Young Persons Act”. There’s an addendum called “Jugendmedienschutz-Staatsvertrag” (word-by-word translation would cause nonsense, but it’s about protecting the youth regarding media (among others: Internet)). There’s an article §4 “Forbidden Contents” and in §4(5) is written:

“(Content is illegal, if...) it depicts barbarously or otherwise inhumanely outrages against humans in a way which express glorification or belittlement of such outrages or in a way which illustrates the cruelty or inhumanity of such a procedure while offending the human dignity; this is also applicable to virtual interpretations.”

As you can see, it’s pretty hard to match this, especially with LEGO.

For example:

Posting this would be completely OK: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=202772

This would be OK too, as a whole gallery, with the given explanation: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=192024

Posting this picture solely would come very close to the line, such things shouldn’t be posted without explanation or further context: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1873526

Posting this picture solely would be the borderline: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1873548 Together with just one inappropriate word, it would be promptly not in the right ballpark.

Honestly, I’m a bit surprised that no one has commented more on this particular update. This seems overly restrictive and I’m not exactly sure how I feel about LUGNET terms now being based on German law.

Am I the only one that sees a serious problem with this clause?

Jake

---
Jake McKee
Webmaster - BIP