 Administrative / Terms of Use / 606
Re: New Terms of Use for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 16:59:45 GMT

   In lugnet.admin.terms, Rene Hoffmeister wrote:
   Basically, this astriction arised out of the German “Protection of Young Persons Act”. ------ “(Content is illegal, if...) it depicts barbarously or otherwise inhumanely outrages against humans in a way which express glorification or belittlement of such outrages or in a way which illustrates the cruelty or inhumanity of such a procedure while offending the human dignity; this is also applicable to virtual interpretations.”

As you can see, it’s pretty hard to match this, especially with LEGO.

In lugnet.admin.terms, Jake McKee wrote:
   Honestly, I’m a bit surprised that no one has commented more on this particular update. This seems overly restrictive and I’m not exactly sure how I feel about LUGNET terms now being based on German law.

Am I the only one that sees a serious problem with this clause?

Jake

Hey,

I guess I’m okay with Rene’s description, but as Didier said, this will come down to theory vs practice. I’m sure there would be no problem with something like a battle scene. Almost everthing I could imagine would fall into this realm. Let’s jump straight to the hard cases, then. What does this new version of the ToU say about discussions of things like Block Death (hmm, the url is dead - does this site still exist?) or the art of Zbigniew Libera. Block Death was (is?) a site that had small vignettes depicting different minifig deaths and tortures. IMO this was for satirical effect, so I wouldn’t think it would fall under restriction, but how would this play out? (For that matter, many castle MOCs have had a dungeon with medieval torture instruments.) Zbigniew Libera is an artist who created a set of seven MOCs that depicted Nazi concentration camps. This has certainly set off fairly serious debates in LEGO forums in the past, but I would argue that this was actually a very serious artistic piece raising discussion - these pieces were even displayed in a Holocaust museum in New York, so at least some people intimately involved in this area appreciated them (though that did raise controversy and others in the New York Jewish community strongly objected). Again, I would say that Lugnet is the right place for this discussion, but how would the German law be applied. To take this to a more contemporary example, some people have built MOCs based on contemporary events as sort of political commentary. Could someone build an Abu Ghraib MOC similar to the Zbigniew creations as some sort of comment on the current debate in the US of the treatment of prisoners accused of terrorism? If such creations started being banned by Lugnet I would be very upset.

That said, I don’t anticipate Rene going out and chopping posts, so in the meantime I won’t get that worried.

One question, Rene. On Classic-Castle we simply ban members under 13 years old. Under our understanding, this helps us to avoid certain restrictions under U.S. law protecting minors. Would German law afford a similar solution? That is, do the restrictions you list affect all sites hosted in Germany, or only those with underage members?

Bruce