 Administrative / Suggestions / 393
Re: Rebirth of Cool LEGO Site of the Week
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 22:55:49 GMT

My thoughts on the CLSotW are as follows:

The CLSotW should remain weekly.  The fresh content is something that will
keep people coming back to LUGNET. While it might require more work, I think
that could be avoided depending on how it was set up.

Some of the work could be put into the hands of the people submitting the
sites.  For instance, on the form for submitting a site, the person
nominating the site could be required to include a write up about the site.
Samples could be provided and it could be made clear that the quality of the
write up would affect whether or not the site is chosen.  If the site is
chosen as CLSotW, the write up submitted with the nomination could be used
as the review.  Of course, it would be edited for spelling, grammar, etc.

If it were done this way, it seems to me that the only real work would be
setting up the nomination form, evaluating nominations before listing them
(weeding out mega bloks sites, heh), and setting up the voting page.

Voting should be limited to LUGNET members.  I like this because it makes
the award more impressive for the people who receive it.  "The Cool LEGO
Site of the Week... Chosen by LUGNET Members."

As for the Cool MOC idea people have been tossing around, I don't like the
idea of using it to fill in gaps in the CLSotW schedule.  Here is what I
propose:

Rather than Cool MOC, do something like Daily MOC Spotlight.  Every day a
new MOC would be spotlighted.  The creations could be limited to LUGNET
members' only.  Every member could be allowed to submit something like 3
creations per month which would be "shuffled" and a new creation would
appear on the front page each day.  This would be very easy to set up (at
least it seems to me that it would) and after initial coding, would require
little additional work.  The submission form could require the inclusion of
a thumbnail of the creation which would appear on the front page, along with
a link to whatever website, brickshelf folder, or LUGNET discussion URL the
member submits.

Just some thoughts,
Bryan