 Administrative / Suggestions / 392
Re: Rebirth of Cool LEGO Site of the Week
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 22:33:46 GMT

Some thoughts about CLSotW:

* The rate of new LEGO sites coming online is quite a bit slower than
  one per week, I believe.  As a result, you will soon find that there
  aren't enough new sites to prevent having to award the prize to an
  old site.  I suspect that the CLSotW was instituted before
  Brickshelf had come to prominence.  Nowadays most people just upload
  their pics there rather than run their own site.

* There are, however, things other than web sites that can be honored.
  In particular, individual models (MOC's) that are constantly being
  produced.  Also, it might be interesting to highlight LEGO-related
  news (such as new cool products from TLC, or mediawatch type
  things).

So what I'd like to suggest is that we keep it weekly, but don't
restrict it to sites.  Also the "cool X site of the Y" type of rating
was really big a few years ago, but it's almost unheard of now.  So
I'd like to propose a bit of a rethink on the name.

Here are some possibilities:

* LUGNET Weekly Spotlight - unfortunately this could get confused with
  the spotlight on news articles.

* Brick of the Week Award

* LEGO Community Weekly Award

As for how the process would be run, I think that the key thing is to
keep the burden to a minimum for the curator(s) of the award, while
keeping programming requirements to a minimum.  Here are some ideas to
address those concerns:

* Simple online submissions.  Any LUGNET member (you must be logged
  in, which is how we can prevent ballot stuffing) can either vote for
  an already-nominated site, or submit a nomination.  Nominations must
  be approved by a curator though, in case inappropriate submisisons
  are made.  A nomination consists of a URL, short description, and an
  indication of what type of entry it is (site, MOC, news item, etc.).

* Multiple curators.  Any of them can approve or reject submissions.
  There can be dozens of them.

* Whatever has the most votes after a week wins.

* The same item is ineligible for six weeks (or some other appropriate
  interval) for another nomination.  If it is nominated again, check
  the URL against the history of winners automatically.  However, a
  slightly different URL could be submitted so the curators should
  check for it.

* Nominations must come from someone other than the person who owns
  the site/MOC/whatever.

* Let nominations carry over to the next week, but zero out the vote
  totals.

--Bill.

AMAZING BUT TRUE: There is so much sand in northern Africa that if it were
                  spread out it would completely cover the Sahara Desert!