 Administrative / General / 8511
Re: Excessive Cross Posting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 15:44:30 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz wrote:

One problem though is how to jerk proof
it without having fuzzy rules (the jerk will just copy the mile long
list of newsgroups to the follow-ups header), or putting an artificial
limit on the number of follow-up groups (though I bet one could
generally get away with a small limit on the number of followup groups,
like a max of 3).

I can't think of a practical example for putting multiple groups in the
followup-to header.  Maybe it's just me ???

I don't think jerk-proofing needs to be a *high* priority around here,
although it's good to jerk-proof when it doesn't impact the real users.

I'd almost be inclined to require that any message
with more than one group in the groups list have follow-ups set, but
it's probably ok to say: "Any message with more than 3 (or maybe 4 or 5)
groups must have follow-ups set."

Yeah, I'd go with your first statement.  Require FUT when messages are
XPOST'ed.

It seems that on LUGNET, the major reason for crossposting is to draw more
attention to a particular item.  With this usage, including a followup-to
header makes sense, and I can't come up with a reason not to require one.

Another reason for crossposting is to indicate that you are moving a
subthread to a new group.  Definitely need a followup-to in this case.

If a message has information which applies to multiple groups, without a
clear indication which group should get the followup-to, then the author
needs to think about breaking up the message into multiple postings.

Steve