 Administrative / General / 8486
Re: Excessive Cross Posting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 00:30:07 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
Todd,

Is there some way to shut down the excessive cross posting which has
been occurring lately? I'm beginning to feel that Lugnet might be better
off if no cross posting was allowed, though I can see some reason for
limited cross posting.

I think that's a bit extreme, although what I snipped below is good
discussion fodder. I think a number of the recent cross posts have been
initiated by people who either are new, or who don't post as often as some
of us.

An initial cross post is fine, but where we really go off the rails is when
22 groups are included, and everyone (including a lot of folks who know
better) just posts replies without thinking about where to set followups to.

I'd support automation that required you to explicitly fill out followups
when you have more than one group in the newsgroups line, or something like
that... maybe a box you have to explicitly check to say "yes I mean to send
this post to multiple groups even though it's a follow up" when you initiate
a reply?

Or something.

But automation doesn't help nntp or mail so I dunno.

<snip>

++Lar