 Administrative / General / 3711
  Re: Language slipping?

(...) subject read "What the F...." that was posted in the lugnet.dear-lego group. (URL) realize it was because some thought that the origional Brad Justus post might have been a hoax but I would hope that people would give others the benifit of the (...) (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) I disagree. Using symbols to replace the letters of a "profane" word is not the same as spelling it out. If a young person who does not know such words reads it, he won't know what it means. basically, it's only profane because you interpret (...) (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) Oh come on. Please. You know as well as the rest of us that children _do_ know those words. The more you try to hide it, the earlier they know. Besides, the words themselves aren't the problem. It's the intent behind them. (...) Here, have a (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

Christopher Lannan wrote in message ... (...) for (...) Of course just to be troublesome, the S word is actually a perfectly valid English word. As a verb, it is conjugated similarly to "sit". The only reason it is vulgar is that a rather uppity (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

Christopher Lannan wrote in message ... (...) Heh heh, when I first started contracting at IBM, I had a Scottish office mate. He was with a contracting firm which had a bunch of other contractors from the UK. He told me about their reaction when (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) Interesting to note that Merriam-Webster marks a lot of often-taboo "curse words" as "usually vulgar" or "usually obscene" -- not as "always obscene". And OED doesn't really mention much of anything at all, except to say that certain senses of (...) (25 years ago, 20-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) It seems you and I agree. Like I said- IF the young person does not know the word, (though most do) then he will not infer the word from a partial spelling. The only people to infer a dirty word will be those who are familiar with it and (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) I don't think the minifigs are flexible enough. Dave! (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) Think photorealistic rendering. Ewwwww. -- jthompson@esker.com "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily" (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) Welcome to the odd, sexually repressed reality of America. General rule: "You can't show bare breasts on network TV. (Unless they belong to a woman being tortured by Nazis.)" Seriously, our puritan culture has hang-ups about graphic portrayals (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

In lugnet.admin.general, Christopher Lannan writes: More thoughts- What about the AFOL acronymn "POOP" How many of us can honestly say it wasn't chosen because of its "potty humour" nature. Piece out of other pieces should be pooop, shouldn't it? I (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) I want to make my point clear on this issue. For me it is not allways something to protect kids. For me I am as you say "spoiled" so I know what is meant when a * or whatever is used to mask a letter (usually a vowel) in a word. To me this is (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) By the way, I just looked it up at websters online, besides the popular music meaning, they also had some stuff about being afraid- like being "in a funk" That was it. Is there another meaning they didn't list. I would imagine it has something (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) Oh, good grief. "Poop" is too vulgar for this newsgroup? Yes, the potty-mouth / bodily function humor of the term was entirely the point. See (URL) for a discussion of the history of the term and other acronyms the AFOL community has (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) familiar (...) Circular logic is logic that is circular ;) Obscenity is something that is obscene. (...) You're right! That's exactly what I meant. It's "eye of the beholder" mixed in with some "community standards" generally agreed upon (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) I was being not-too-subtly sarcastic. POOP is just fine. Chris (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) Sorry - my irony-detector needs rewiring, obviously. (Slinks off abashedly) -- jthompson@esker.com "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily" (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) I don't think anyone would argue that obscenity is anything other than a social and/or personal convention, rather than some inherent quality or state; it's largely a matter of consensus. That's not to say obscenity doesn't "exist"--it exists (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) Most of the words in English that refer to "basic" things or actions have a French counter part; the English words are generally considered the baser, informal, or perhaps "lower-class" of the two, while the the French words for the same thing (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) When I read this in italicized, quoted form, it looked like you were discussing the "Sword" as in "pointy metal stick." I confess I had difficulty following your post until I got my brains unscrambled. Dave! (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) Then tell me what "obscenity" is, since it exists. (...) That's my point about how subjective it is. One zealot who says any word/image/sound/obj...ought/farm animal is obscene is a crazy man- if we get enough of those zealots together, (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) Obscene is one of a number of slippery words that are contextually defined. In most english speaking countries, for example, bodily waste is refered to by multiple terms, some "obscene", some not. It generally depends on the context for most (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) state; (...) Let me start by saying I think we agree on the meat of the issue. However, I think some people are succumbing to the falacy that in order to exist, something must be identifiable in words, which is surely not the case. I can't (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) Well, how about another AFOL acronym- CRAPP- obviously NOT "polite usage." I think that it is a convention thing- defined by the community- in this case, however, since LUGNET is worldwide, I guess the standards are Todd's. So I would tender a (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) Ok- got me there. (...) Yes! Both, I think. I just chose objectionable because I was trying to make a definition that wasn't circular. (Obsenity is obscene, fearful things make you feel afraid) Perhaps "extremely objectionable" is a better (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) Good points, and bravo to you for bringing this debate out of the realm of the pointlessly theorical and putting it back into Lugnet! (...) Agreed. Some people might not like this seeming Monarchy of Lugnet, but it *is* Todd's sandbox (as (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) Try "centimes" - a centime is 1/100th of a franc. (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) Merriam Websters' either thinks the meaning is obscene, or that it is not general enough.. PG advised, the faint-of-heart may look away now. The meaning I was referring to that I've seen it used as is, how to put this delicately.. the liquid (...) (25 years ago, 24-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) In Sweden, people (well, teenagers actually) use it (or used it) together with "Oh" when things were cool, or went wrong, if a car didn´t stop and hit a wall or something. --Tobias (25 years ago, 24-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) Yes, people do here too. (25 years ago, 24-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) has (...) Ok at the risk of instigating a long thread on a topic that nobody probably wants to continue with, I always thought it was the male not female to which this word referred to???(to put it delicately) This is rather an old fashioned (...) (25 years ago, 26-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Language slipping?

(...) Actually, originally the word meant "a strong smell or stink" (OED has quotes using it this way from the 1600s. Defintely related to tobacco smoke - in fact, the word was probably derived from a french dialect word meaning "to give off smoke". (...) (25 years ago, 26-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)