 Administrative / General / 2002
  New blood

Question: How do we get new blood here? Of course, this is not to say that it is needed, but rec.toys.lego is turning into shit so how do new Lego enthusiasits find out about lugnet? I very rarely see posts on rec.toys.lego saying "Go to lugnet" and (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New blood

(...) Larry and a few other folks put together a little invitational piece a few months ago, and posted it a couple of times, but I don't think there's anyone posting regularly (like once a month or something). But that's one possible way. Another (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New blood

I've been telling my eBay winners about www.lugnet, if by chance they didn't already know. Julie (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New blood

(...) The (my) problem with such a post is that you probably also get people on Lugnet that are only interested in selling or buying sets. Not a real problem as long as they post in the correct newsgroups, but I suspect that some of those people (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New blood

(...) Every type of LEGO fan is welcome here. (...) That's a risk, but it's not impossible to (a) educate people not to do that and (b) boot riff-raff who refuse to play by the rules. So far, no one has ever needed the boot for that, and only a (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New blood

(...) Ditto. (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New blood

(...) I am a new person here myself within the last month or so. I found LUGNET through the YAHOO search engine when I went looking for LEGO sites. You should make sure that LUGNET is easily found in all the major search engines. (I would be (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New blood

(...) I know that and I think that is how it should be. The people I was thinking about are people that want to sell LEGO without respecting other people opinions and comments. I'm thinking of a person from about a year / year and a half on RTL who (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Proposed message (was: Re: New blood)

Here is the message like I think can be put on RTL to get more people to LUGNET. If you have comments, please let me know, so I can make the changes before posting. Message: Hello all LEGO fans, This message is proposed to let you know the existence (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New blood

(...) Not to be TOO exclusionary, but certain posters to RTL don't pass my internal "are they a fan" filter. I can't concretely characterise it, but it involves things like not spamming, actually participating in discussions instead of just dumping (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New blood

(...) Heh heh, I should clarify that: Every type of LEGO fan is welcome here, so long as they're willing to play well in the sandbox. Spitting and throwing sand and screaming aren't right for this place as they might be other places. That doesn't (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New blood

(...) Or they'll stick to the marketplace groups, right? They won't be allowed to clutter up the discussion groups, so no big deal... (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Proposed message (was: Re: New blood)

(...) You have some typos in this one, among other things. I applaud your desire to do this, but so you don't reinvent the wheel, take a look back for this same kind of message that Larry (and others?) crafted several months ago. I'm sure Todd could (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Proposed message (was: Re: New blood)

(...) Suzanne's last name is actually Rich, not Vega. :) (...) c /whealth/wealth/ (...) That sounds pretty good. You might want to include something at the bottom noting that you are posting this on your own behalf as someone who uses LUGNET and (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Proposed message (was: Re: New blood)

(...) Heh heh heh, OK, I have to ask -- is your comment meant to be facetious, or does that weird URL thing really seem like magic? Doing that weird URL thing is really pretty easy, and I hope that more people will learn to use it, because it's a (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Proposed message (was: Re: New blood)

(...) Man, I must be facetious pretty often with people always wondering if that's what I'm shooting for. Given that you guys have never had the pleasure of hearing my tone of voice or seeing my facial expressions that's pretty funny in an eerily (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Proposed message (was: Re: New blood)

I am sorry that I wrote Suzanne Vega instead of Suzanne Rich. One of my bad habits: thinking you know the right answer, so don't checking it. But it is of course Suzanne Rich and Todd Lehman who maintain LUGNET. (Although it might be nice if Suzanne (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New blood

Todd Lehman wrote in message ... (...) maybe we should have a systematic method, say posting about lugnet on rec.toys.lego on a periodic basis. (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New blood

(...) I have posted a message about LUGNET yesterday on RTL. My plan is to post this same message monthly. Sybrand Bonsma (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New blood

(...) Wow, it looks like already is starting to have a positive impact. More new news-posting setup forms being filled out today than typical days. --Todd (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)