 Administrative / General / 1916
Re: lugnet.com upgrade/downtime/heads-up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 01:48:54 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
The lugnet.com server is due for a slight overhaul to upgrade the OS from
FreeBSD 2.1.7 to 2.2.7.  When exactly this will occur is not set in stone,
but I'll post more when I know more.  Hopefully sometime in the next few
days.

Todd,

Would this upgrade address some of LUGNET's performance issues?

Huh?  Performance issues?  That's new to me.  Tell me more.

No, as far as I'm aware, the upgrade won't address any speed issues that
would make any noticeable difference...

What type(s) of problems have you noticed?  The server has only barely
broken a sweat a couple of times in the past nine months.  Other than that,
it's typically just purring along not doing much of anything (compared to
what it could be doing; it's a very fast CPU running a very efficient OS,
running on an extremely fast Internet backbone in an extremely connected
Eastern U.S. city).

Anyway, what times of the day are you accessing, and where from?  What is
your Internet connection speed?  Tell me everything bad that you've noticed.

--Todd