 Administrative / General / 2932
Re: lugnet.com upgrade/downtime/heads-up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.announce
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 01:26:21 GMT

This is a general "FYI" heads-up...

The lugnet.com server is due for a slight overhaul to upgrade the OS from
FreeBSD 2.1.7 to 2.2.7.  When exactly this will occur is not set in stone,
but I'll post more when I know more.  Hopefully sometime in the next few
days.

In any OS upgrade, BTW -- which means shutting the machine down for a few
minutes, installing new files, and rebooting -- there is always the distant
possibility of unfavorable glitches when things are turned back on.  So if
you are suddenly met with any kind of "Internal Server Error" message from
the website, it just means that things aren't fully back on their feet yet.
Most likely, 99% of everything will just sail on through smoothly after a
short downtime.  The people who are doing the actual upgrade task are
extremely experienced in this area.

(The above was quite a while back.)  The OS upgrade is scheduled for sometime
mid-tomorrow morning, hopefully around 9-10 a.m. EST.

There may be a few sections of the site which I'll need to tinker
with to talk to the new OS if there are any unforseen low-level DB
incompatibilities.  I do expect some bumpiness in two areas in particular
-- (1) the news-by-mail subscription database and (2) the Lugnet/Pause
sets-DB.  There won't be any data loss, but I'll probably need to run a
script to rebuild some files.  IMO, it's better if the site comes back up
quickly as soon as possible and those portions are temporarily broken than
if they're fixed first and the site is down for longer.

I've been working proactively as a background task to head off any problems
like this ahead of time so that they don't happen at all as a result of the
transition.  Over the next few hours I'll be converting all of the online
databases from an old format to a newer format which is compatible with both
the old and the new OS.  So if I don't miss anything, the transition should
be completely transparent (except for a bit of downtime).

More details if/as they arise...

--Todd

[Followups to lugnet.admin.general]