 Administrative / General / 1914
1913  |  1915
Subject:
lugnet.com upgrade/downtime/heads-up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.announce
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 00:06:03 GMT

This is a general "FYI" heads-up...

The lugnet.com server is due for a slight overhaul to upgrade the OS from
FreeBSD 2.1.7 to 2.2.7.  When exactly this will occur is not set in stone,
but I'll post more when I know more.  Hopefully sometime in the next few
days.

In any OS upgrade, BTW -- which means shutting the machine down for a few
minutes, installing new files, and rebooting -- there is always the distant
possibility of unfavorable glitches when things are turned back on.  So if
you are suddenly met with any kind of "Internal Server Error" message from
the website, it just means that things aren't fully back on their feet yet.
Most likely, 99% of everything will just sail on through smoothly after a
short downtime.  The people who are doing the actual upgrade task are
extremely experienced in this area.

There may be a few sections of the site which I'll need to tinker with to
talk to the new OS if there are any unforseen low-level DB incompatibilities.
I do expect some bumpiness in two areas in particular -- (1) the news-by-mail
subscription database and (2) the Lugnet/Pause sets-DB.  There won't be any
data loss, but I'll probably need to run a script to rebuild some files.  IMO,
it's better if the site comes back up quickly as soon as possible and those
portions are temporarily broken than if they're fixed first and the site is
down for longer.

OK, that's all for now.

--Todd

[Followups set to lugnet.admin.general]