 Administrative / General / 1260
Re: Lugnet.cad.dat heirarchy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 03:37:21 GMT

I was wondering what was taking Todd so long to reply (he usually pounces on
questions directed his way) and now I see he was writing a thesis on the
topic.  Thanks for the in-depth response.

The major reason I see for separating out parts and official models is that
they form a "long-term" resource.  I'm sure many cad.dat followers skip part
files, but if you have a sudden need for a part that has been posted but is
not official yet, I would be nice to have a consolidated place to see the last
20 parts posted without paging through 50 MOC posts.

Likewise for official TLG models:  I would guess that if I posted 8 such
models today, most of the cad.dat followers wouldn't even look at them, since
they know what the models look like.  Your probably right that noone would
want to visit a models group to look at all the posts.  But if I need to find
a .dat of a model, perhaps to include in a scene, or maybe just to print my
own instructions, it would be great to have a consolidated compendium of such
models.

Integrating these categories with the web interface makes great sense.  I
would think eventually the official models would be linked to Pause as well.

I'm warming up to the idea of a submodel group, too.  I'm envisioning several
of the "masters" posting their versions of retractable landing gear.

As far a as a scene group, I can see the future possibilities, but I'm not
sure it makes sense to separate out such a small number of posts as I would
expect this group would generate in the near future.  For now I think they fit
well in the general category of cad.dat.

I guess a general rule would be "Does the added convenience of having posts
separated out outweigh the inconvenience of checking another newgroup?"  The
only two categories I can personally say would benefit me are the parts, and
the official models (maybe cad.dat.sets?).

I agree that MOCs form the heart of cad.dat and should stay there.  A possible
exception would be "alternate models" using the parts of a single set (or a
few sets).  This would form a resource similar to a sets group.

OK, I've rambled on long enough, and I need to get back to Karim's part
request.

-John Van