 Administrative / General / 1322
Re: Lugnet.cad.dat heirarchy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 17:31:58 GMT

On 4/12/99, at 10:06 PM, lehman@javanet.com wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:
1. lugnet.cad.dat                \  One of these for
  lugnet.cad.dat.creations      /  creations/MOCs

  If .creations were created, the main .dat group could nicely be nixed.
  The problem with not having a main .dat group, though, is the same as
  not having a general catch-all group -- where do new paradigms go as they
  are spontaneously invented?  I'd favor keeping .dat and not creating a
  sub-category for MOCs/creations.

I think that having a cad.dat.creations would be a great idea but I have to
agree, What would happen to cad.dat?

2. lugnet.cad.dat.sets           - for official models/sets

  I think we clearly could benefit from this.

3. lugnet.cad.dat.sets.alt       - for alternative models using parts from
                                  official sets

  There are three subclasses of alternative models:

  i.   Those which are alternative models of official sets and which
       include official printed building instructions for the model.
I think these belong in this subcatagory.

  ii.  Those which are built by close inspection of an alternative model
       shown on the back of a box, but for which official building
       instructions are not known.
  iii. Those which are entirely fan-created alternative models -- such as
       the type for which JosephG is famous.

I think that these should be considered MOCs, but with the set as a reference.

4. lugnet.cad.dat.parts          - for LDraw parts development

  We clearly need this, for several reasons.
We definately need this :)

  <deep breath>

  Thoughts?
5. lugnet.cad.dat.assemblies     \
  lugnet.cad.dat.cookbook        \
  lugnet.cad.dat.encyclopedia     \  One of these for design snippets,
  lugnet.cad.dat.ideas            /  sub-assemblies, building tricks,
  lugnet.cad.dat.recipes         /   educational constructions, etc.
  lugnet.cad.dat.sub            /

  The name here needs to be carefully chosen (or documented) to fit the
  whole range of things that the group encompasses.  The words "cookbook"
  and "recipes" are good analogies, but a bit on the cute side.

  As JohnVZ said, "I'm warming up to the idea of a submodel group, too.
  I'm envisioning several of the 'masters' posting their versions of
  retractable landing gear."

This would be a great addition.

  What I really am dying to create eventually is the ability for users to
  be on the page of some (any) part and think to themselves, "That's a
  weird part, how would you use that?" and then click a link which *shows*
  them some ways that people have used it.  Since the underlying DB would
  be able to do cross referencing of parts, you should be able to jump into
  that DB from a part page, a theme page, a model-topic page, a scoped
  search, etc.

Now that is one good idea. That would be good for newer modelers and experianced
alike.

6. lugnet.cad.dat.scenes         - for complex meta-models (scenes)

  We haven't seen too many "scenes" yet, perhaps because people are having
  so much fun designing individual models or perhaps because there just
  isn't a large enough collection of models out there to pick & choose from
  yet.  I think as time goes on, however, there will be more and more
  scenes...the law of increasing returns applies here.

  Copyright/credit/authorship issues associated with this -could- be
  worked around entirely by requiring that the author of a model agrees
  that it is fair game for someone else to include it in something they
  create, so long as they give credit where credit is due or not ever
  deleting any '0 Author:' lines.

Is that where my Hoth Battle would come in? I think it would be a good idea
and would encourage others to do some of their own.

Anything I missed?  Any new ones?  (Don't hesitate to speak up!)

I'll think about it :)

Ryan

--Todd