 Administrative / General / 1314
Re: Lugnet.cad.dat heirarchy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 03:00:35 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:
I think there is some value in classifying real TLG models separately
from MOCs.  You, Todd, could have

lugnet.cad.dat.sets
lugnet.cad.dat.creations

Which aren't completely self-obvious, but nothing's perfect.

I like those.  I think "sets" is a lot clearer than anything containing the
letters "tlg", especially when placed alongside "parts" or "elements" and
"creations."  It's also nice and short, easy to type.  :)

OK, let's summarize all of the suggestions/possibilities presented so far:

1. lugnet.cad.dat                \  One of these for
   lugnet.cad.dat.creations      /  creations/MOCs

   If .creations were created, the main .dat group could nicely be nixed.
   The problem with not having a main .dat group, though, is the same as
   not having a general catch-all group -- where do new paradigms go as they
   are spontaneously invented?  I'd favor keeping .dat and not creating a
   sub-category for MOCs/creations.

2. lugnet.cad.dat.sets           - for official models/sets

   I think we clearly could benefit from this.

3. lugnet.cad.dat.sets.alt       - for alternative models using parts from
                                   official sets

   There are three subclasses of alternative models:

   i.   Those which are alternative models of official sets and which
        include official printed building instructions for the model.
   ii.  Those which are built by close inspection of an alternative model
        shown on the back of a box, but for which official building
        instructions are not known.
   iii. Those which are entirely fan-created alternative models -- such as
        the type for which JosephG is famous.

   I would associate all three of these model types more closely with one
   another and with official sets than with completely free-form MOCs, and
   would want to link to these types from the sets-DB just as I would link
   to an LDraw version of an official main model from the sets-DB.

   Arguably, type (i) alternative models really belong in the pure .sets
   group, rather than the .sets.alt group since they are based on official
   building instructions.  But what about type (ii) alternative models?
   We'll never know whether some of these are "correct" since the
   instructions aren't given...yet many of them will be small and simple
   enough to be correct for sure -- do those really belong in the .sets
   group or the .sets.alt group?

   For the reasons above, it may simply make the most sense for the .sets
   group to include everything that would have gone in the .sets.alt
   group.  Other opinions?

4. lugnet.cad.dat.parts          - for LDraw parts development

   We clearly need this, for several reasons.

   I know that it is traditional to refer to parts as "parts" and not
   as "elements" -- and maybe this is because parts files can go "below"
   the LEGO-element level of dataification -- but would it still be better
   to call the group lugnet.cad.dat.elements since producing LDraw versions
   of all the official LEGO elements is the ultimate goal?

   On the other hand, although the mathematical relation between the word
   "element" and the word "set" is endearing, it may not be entirely
   intuitive or correct.  That is, if a LEGO set is what you get when you
   buy something -- a box, pieces, and all that -- then catalogs and holey
   plastic bags and even the boxes are -technically- elements of the set.
   Still, TLG refers to the plastic and rubber and cloth pieces collectively
   as "LEGO elements."

   <deep breath>

   Thoughts?

5. lugnet.cad.dat.assemblies     \
   lugnet.cad.dat.cookbook        \
   lugnet.cad.dat.encyclopedia     \  One of these for design snippets,
   lugnet.cad.dat.ideas            /  sub-assemblies, building tricks,
   lugnet.cad.dat.recipes         /   educational constructions, etc.
   lugnet.cad.dat.sub            /

   The name here needs to be carefully chosen (or documented) to fit the
   whole range of things that the group encompasses.  The words "cookbook"
   and "recipes" are good analogies, but a bit on the cute side.

   As JohnVZ said, "I'm warming up to the idea of a submodel group, too.
   I'm envisioning several of the 'masters' posting their versions of
   retractable landing gear."

   Here are some examples of the types of things this group would be
   perfect for:

      http://carol.wins.uva.nl/~leo/lego/stewart.html
      http://carol.wins.uva.nl/~leo/lego/killough.html
      http://carol.wins.uva.nl/~leo/lego/spherical.html
      http://carol.wins.uva.nl/~leo/lego/office.html
      http://carol.wins.uva.nl/~leo/lego/cats.html
      http://www.geocities.com/Paris/LeftBank/7589/MyCats.html
      http://www.geocities.com/Paris/LeftBank/7589/GumBall.html
      http://www.baseplate.com/ideas/minifig-scale/deco/
      http://www.baseplate.com/ideas/minifig-scale/wall/
      http://www.baseplate.com/ideas/minifig-scale/roof_tiles/
      http://www.baseplate.com/ideas/minifig-scale/wall_lamp/
      http://www.baseplate.com/ideas/minifig-scale/blast/
      http://mama.indstate.edu/users/sean/pictures/handheldweapons/handheldweapons.htm

   What I really am dying to create eventually is the ability for users to
   be on the page of some (any) part and think to themselves, "That's a
   weird part, how would you use that?" and then click a link which *shows*
   them some ways that people have used it.  Since the underlying DB would
   be able to do cross referencing of parts, you should be able to jump into
   that DB from a part page, a theme page, a model-topic page, a scoped
   search, etc.

   This is similar in theory to the Constructopedia research project at
   the E&L Group at the MIT Media Lab,

   http://el.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/Projects/constructopedia/kego.html

   but going beyond Technic and beyond a purely educational focus --
   to encompass all types of LEGO elements, all reasons for building,
   and linking in with the individual-parts-for-sale markets.

   Doing this entirely via .DAT content posted to a special newsgroup
   isn't the most perfect way to make this happen, but it's getting the
   ball rolling in the right direction that matters.

6. lugnet.cad.dat.scenes         - for complex meta-models (scenes)

   We haven't seen too many "scenes" yet, perhaps because people are having
   so much fun designing individual models or perhaps because there just
   isn't a large enough collection of models out there to pick & choose from
   yet.  I think as time goes on, however, there will be more and more
   scenes...the law of increasing returns applies here.

   Copyright/credit/authorship issues associated with this -could- be
   worked around entirely by requiring that the author of a model agrees
   that it is fair game for someone else to include it in something they
   create, so long as they give credit where credit is due or not ever
   deleting any '0 Author:' lines.

Anything I missed?  Any new ones?  (Don't hesitate to speak up!)

In boiling the final selection of sub-groups down to a nice list, we need to
keep a couple things in mind:

- Newsgroup names sort alphabetically on the web pages and in newsreaders.
- Newsgroup name components should be as short yet intuitive as possible.
- The names appearing on the web pages can be longer if necessary.  For
  example, a group named lugnet.cad.dat.alt would not be shown as "alt"
  or "Alt" but as "Alternative Models."

So here is one possibility:

   lugnet                <=>   Home
         .cad                     CAD
             .dat                    DAT Files
                 .ideas                 Ideas
                 .models                Models
                 .parts                 Parts
                 .scenes                Scenes
                 .sets                  Sets

My final comments:
- The more subgroups there are, the more odd (unorthogonal) it seems if
  models belong in the plain old .dat group.  Keeping a plain old .dat group
  around also means that it's possible to accidentally post something there
  which really belongs in a subgroup.
- It wouldn't be prohibitively difficult to wipe out .cad.dat and move its
  existing articles into subgroups (these would mostly be parts and models
  at this point).

--Todd