 Administrative / General / 10764
Re: member packets (puleeze!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 07:54:48 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I get that some folks are embittered about not getting member pack thingies,
and when we raise expectations about stuff and then do not deliver
gloriously, unfortunateness must ensue.  But I'm reading this and its just
seems a bit strange...

In lugnet.admin.general, Andy Boal writes:
"LUGNET Admin" <suz@lugnet.com> wrote in news:Gq3r6t.9yF@lugnet.com:

Info online about membership and the conf e-mail should not have had any
promises on there related to packets beyond the first ?650 members or
so.. Todd had expected us to switch to a simpler single-sheet-of-paper
kinda thing saying thanks and giving a typed password for safe keeping.
[Oh yeah, forgot to mention that each folder was fed through printer to
get its unique password, then matched to its member card and mailing
label]

I have to point out that I am member 1206, and I was promised that
packet...

I'll make sure we update all language for future members. I am sorry for
it having given such false expectations to those who already signed up.
It was not meant to be deceptive. If anyone sent their $10 in hopes to
get nifty LEGO stuff in the mail, and is now unsatisfied, please let me
know privately.

It would have been nice to have received notification of this via the
lugnet e-mail database.  A simple e-mail message to all members advising
that unfortunately no more member packets would be mailed out (allowing
for those, who like me, weren't subscribed to the lugnet newsgroups) would
have saved me a lot of hassle.

One might have thought that another way to save oneself a lot of hassle is
to just not be hassled.  I fully appreciate that the primary reason for your
paying your hard earned was not to support Lugnet (hell, you can get that
for free, can't you!) but to get your hands on the glorious member pack
thingie, and that without it, severe hassling might seem like the only
possible consequence, but its just not true.

One can try to hold Lugnet to a commercial standard of conduct (although we
should probably pay commercial subscriptions, no?) and get all hassled when
Lugnet fails to measure up, or we can decide to be pleased as punch and
enjoy the wonder of what is already here, and be even more thrilled when
something new turns up.  We could even sling them some dough to help with
the bills!

To ordinary non-Christian, non-Civil Servant me, it just sooooooo makes
sense.  The lack of balance is just breathtaking!

One element is that at law, you are technically in breach of contract, as
the member packet was promised as part of the legal consideration for our
membership fees.

Goodness gracious!  Give this dude back his money.  I don't know how many
thousands of GBP he has paid on his end of this contract, but if this is
just the US$10 thingie, I'm happy to pay him back myself!

If we need lawyers its to have them look at this contract to see whether it
is not simply manifestly unfair to Lugnet.  Maybe we could have the court
reconstruct it more sensibly, or at the very least set it aside to enable
the parties to think again about what they get for what the provide.

I truly am sorry. I feel pretty stupid about dropping that ball. What
started out as a typical goof-up where I thought I could do a lot more
than I really could, became worse because I didn't admit it when I
should have.

One final thing.  I now have the answer I wanted in some e-mails I sent a
few weeks ago.

Excellent.  That would probably be that then?

However, I have to say that it is at best rude not to even
acknowledge e-mails concerning lugnet, which in my experience is exactly
what has happened several times.

At best its an earnest mistake by hardworking just about volunteer types,
compounded by their enthusiasm for setting it right, and their shame at not
being all they could be.

At worst its rude.

While I appreciate how busy you guys are, it is not satisfactory in the
slightest.

I was very seriously considering asking for my membership fee to be
returned

<<waves currency in the air>>

not because of the failure to send my member packet, but because
of the failure to deal with lugnet business.

I love this bit!  'failure to deal with business'  Check out...

  http://www.asboal.clara.net/faith.html
  http://www.asboal.clara.net/friends.html
  http://www.asboal.clara.net/music.html
  http://www.asboal.clara.net/madness.html
  http://www.asboal.clara.net/tec.html
  http://www.asboal.clara.net/alpha.html
  http://www.asboal.clara.net/contact.html

You might have thought that someone a bit overwhelmed by the task of running
a 10 page website might have some understanding of the work to maintain a
website like Lugnet.  Or not...

Perhaps someone could check
the feedback@lugnet.com e-mail account,

Maybe its changed - I thought that the feeback page essentially said 'this
is the wrong place if you want a reply'.  You be the judge:

  http://www.lugnet.com/admin/feedback/

or Todd and Suzanne could check
their respective e-mail accounts and answer my e-mail sometime.

Andy

I'll see if I can track down Andy's addy and send him some cash...

--
andy@andyboal.co.uk

All proudly brought to you by a Christian Civil Servant with thoughts of the
day to share.

The self restraint energy I am applying in order to stop now could power a
small city for a year.

;-)

Richard
Still baldly going...