 Administrative / General / 10041
Re: member packets (continued)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 02:03:53 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
sorry.. I'm posting from a library with time-limited 'net use.

In lugnet.admin.general, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
I'll make a more official post later, but for now, to put the mystery to rest...

When Todd and I began LUGNET, years ago, the member pack was a fun project
done in our spare time as an 'extra' thing for our new friends as they
joined up. It was a carefully constructed custom craft/design piece that
cost more than a few dollars to build.

It consisted of a large black envelope with a wide crescent flap, within
which was a white cardstock folder. When the folder was opened, a letter to
the member was there, welcoming them. Loose within were 2 white cardstock
bookmarks with color LUGNET logos printed on them. Slits in the stock held:
a lightweight white magnet with the LUGNET logo printed on it; 2 tiny white
sticker sheets with LUGNET logos printed on them (enough for 6? minifig
chests); and the member card which was printed in color, 2-sided, customized
with member's name and number, and heavy laminated).

This was all done by hand. We did the first (450?) without much difficulty.
Another 500 are waiting to finish assembly and mail out.

anyway... after separating last spring, Todd handed the things over to me.
It was then that I found out that all document/graphics files had been lost
at some time in the past. In order to finish assembly of existing packets, I
have to redraft and print up a few things. But then I'll have to redraft the
LUGNET logo, re-design the member cards, and set up a database with updated
addresses to do more.

I always thought it would get done, but it didn't. After a short time, Todd
sent out passwords via e-mail so that memberships wouldn't be held up by
waiting for snail-mail (which had partly been a security thing), so the need
for mailing the fun stuff was diminished.

Info online about membership and the conf e-mail should not have had any
promises on there related to packets beyond the first ?650 members or so..
Todd had expected us to switch to a simpler single-sheet-of-paper kinda
thing saying thanks and giving a typed password for safe keeping. [Oh yeah,
forgot to mention that each folder was fed through printer to get its unique
password, then matched to its member card and mailing label]

I'll make sure we update all language for future members. I am sorry for it
having given such false expectations to those who already signed up. It was
not meant to be deceptive. If anyone sent their $10 in hopes to get nifty
LEGO stuff in the mail, and is now unsatisfied, please let me know privately.

I truly am sorry. I feel pretty stupid about dropping that ball. What
started out as a typical goof-up where I thought I could do a lot more than
I really could, became worse because I didn't admit it when I should have.

-Suzanne (who never got a member packet either)
LUGNET Admin

Thanks for letting us know the story.

Jude