 Administrative / General / 10750
Re: member packets (continued)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 04:22:39 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Bruce Hietbrink writes:
Since it never said what was included I just figured it was ... basically,
stuff that would get lost in the shuffle of papers
on my desk.  So it never really bothered me when I never saw anything.

     I'd have to agree.  For me, the real important part of being a member
isn't the membership packet.  It's the community, the ideas, the talk, the
pics, and the fun.
     While I understand some consternation about not replying to
communication as quickly as we might like, I think we all need to remember
that for Todd and Suzanne this is (I think) something that they do ***IN
ADDITION*** to the things they do in their regular lives.  They are fans,
just like us, who feel it important enough for the fan community that they
give their time, effort, and money to keep things going, like Kevin Loch
does for the recently attacked Brickshelf.  The money we send in, as I'm
understanding it (and I may be wrong - please let me know if I am just so I
don't go around spouting stuff I don't know about), isn't to pay Todd and
Suzanne a profit as employee/owners of LUGnet; it's to help them defray the
costs of continual server uptime and maintenance, most of which they pay
themselves.
     And maybe not...maybe it's a business.  But I don't think it is.
     The real membership packet is ongoing, every day, and grows over time.
It's the posts to .space, .castle, .trains, and even .bionicle.  It's the
links to things like pictures on Brickshelf, instructions on the Building
Instructions Portal, spotlighted posts, and Cool Lego Sites of the (whatever
time frame).  It's the community and support, the ideas and education, the
all-ages-inclusive fun for everyone.  That's the ***REAL*** membership packet.
     In my mind, a plastic card and some paper can't come close to replacing
that.

Peace and Long Life,
Tony Alexander