 Trains / 12763
Re: Lubricating axels, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 14:45:42 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:

Thanks, Larry.

I'm using a 2 motor engine and a 1 motor engine.  Both are ~24 stud MOCs.  I
suppose I should swap some motors around to see if there are problems with
the motors I'm using.  I first tried just the 2 motor engine to pull the 4
cars, and it couldn't cut it.

I'd tend to think that it is a electrical issue.  I have hauled 92(IIRC) cars
with a single motor- so, you should be able to manage 4 with one motor, under a
suitable engine (reasonably heavy).  Do the wheels slip on the engine?  or does
it just slow down away from the power point to a crawl?  If it slows down, then
you need to add another power connection (put it right across from the first
one, connect it with the long (128cm) wires, you may have to switch the wires
around by 180 the first time to get the train to move at all-otherwise, divide
the track into 2 sections (electrically) and power using a 2nd transformer

So:
if fault is slipping-make heavier engine
if fault is slowing down away from power supply, add 2nd connector wire ect...

But, a single motor should pull 4 cars without any problem at all...

James
(off to play with DCC :)

I went back and looked at what was happening again.  The problem is
definately slippage and not lack of electrical power.  I added 2 of the
weight bricks and that helped quite a bit.  I was able to pull the 4 cars
from 4561 then with just the one 2 motor engine.

However, the engine is still working very hard to do this (even if it isn't
slipping).  The carriages from my 2 4561 sets seem to be very heavy compared
to my other cars and the wheels don't seem to roll particularly well.  I
took the little cars out of the car transporter carriages to lighten the
load some.  Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks for all the responses.

Regards,
Steve Martin
IndyLUG