 Trains / 12775
Re: Lubricating axels, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 19:39:50 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

One last hint:
if the wheels sets are quite old and have been used for most of the time • under
heavy duty, then they might have evidently wear in their bearings.

The 9V wheel blocks are using "tip bearings" (sorry I have not found the
translation for "Spitzenlager" in
any dictionary). I mean a bearing as used for e.g. in good mechanical clocks.
These bearings are not made for higher loads, but their main advantage is
their very low friction.

"needle" bearings. That is, they are just a hard metal point in a soft metal
(or in this case, hard plastic) cup. Very common in regular MR as well where
the metal is often Stainless Steel and the plastic is Delrin, a hard kind of
nylon I think.

Thanks Larry,

the direct back-translation of needle bearing would be "Nadellager" in German,
but Nadellager has a completely different meaning here. That is a roller
bearing with very fine (long and thin like needles) cylinders like this one:

http://www.ina.de/inaupdate/produkt/medias/images/NAMAS.gif

Regards,

Ben

A "spit" in english, one meaning of it anyway, is a long thin bit of land
often coming to a point that sticks out into a lake or ocean...