 Trains / 12779
Re: Lubricating axels, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 20:28:04 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

No, there has to be something wrong with your wheel blocks. Maybe they have
collected lots of dust, maybe they have a quality lack....

<try a ramp, here's how>

Excellent advice. If after proper weighting, you are still struggling to get
things moving, there is a problem. Ben's test is good. Also examine
individual wheelsets. If you flick a wheel with your thumb, it should stay
spinning for at least 10's of seconds if not a whole minute (depending on
how hard you flick)

Also, check the bogie plate rotation because if the bogie plates aren't
swiveling, that will cause binding on curves, slowing things down greatly.