 Trains / 12735
Re: Lubricating axels, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 23:12:47 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steve Martin writes:
Well, I finally finished my train tables.  They basically form a square 10'
on a side.  I'm having some efficiency problems with the largest loop.  I'm
having to use 3 engines to pull 4 of the cars from 4561.  The loop's length
is nearing 40'.

What techniques have people used to combat the resistance build up in a
large layout?  I was thinking of lubricating the wheels with WD40, graphic,
or silicone spray.

I was also considering trying to run power to the opposite side of the
track.  If I did something like that, would I add another lead to the same
transformer or use a second transformer?

Regards,
Steve Martin, #57
IndyLUG
Steve, LEGO® train wheels are not designed to be lubricated. The oil will
destroy the rubber traction tires on the 9V motors resulting in total loss
of traction (not to mention dirt buildup on all wheels concerned). Just my
10 cents worth...-Harvey