 Trains / 12726
Subject:
Lubricating axels, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 19:53:45 GMT

Well, I finally finished my train tables.  They basically form a square 10'
on a side.  I'm having some efficiency problems with the largest loop.  I'm
having to use 3 engines to pull 4 of the cars from 4561.  The loop's length
is nearing 40'.

What techniques have people used to combat the resistance build up in a
large layout?  I was thinking of lubricating the wheels with WD40, graphic,
or silicone spray.

I was also considering trying to run power to the opposite side of the
track.  If I did something like that, would I add another lead to the same
transformer or use a second transformer?

Regards,
Steve Martin, #57
IndyLUG

Re: Lubricating axels, etc.
Well, I finally finished my train tables.  They basically form a square 10'
on a side.  I'm having some efficiency problems with the largest loop.  I'm
having to use 3 engines to pull 4 of the cars from 4561.  The loop's length
is nearing 40'.

How are the engines configured? One or two 2 truck locos, well weighted,
ought to be able to pull well in excess of 20 4 axle cars on a level track,
even through curves (people run way more than that but this is easy to
achieve). So your configuration may not be ideal. The stock 4561 loco is a
terrible puller, it has way too little weight on the drive wheels.

What techniques have people used to combat the resistance build up in a
large layout?  I was thinking of lubricating the wheels with WD40, graphic,
or silicone spray.

The resistance build up is electrical, more than mechanical. I would
strongly advocate that you avoid any lubrication. These motors and axles are
engineered to not be lubricated.

I was also considering trying to run power to the opposite side of the
track.  If I did something like that, would I add another lead to the same
transformer or use a second transformer?

Both of these approaches have been successfully used and would give good
results, IMHO. Whichever is easier to do would be my recommendation.

++Lar

Re: Lubricating axels, etc.
Well, I finally finished my train tables.  They basically form a square 10'
on a side.  I'm having some efficiency problems with the largest loop.  I'm
having to use 3 engines to pull 4 of the cars from 4561.  The loop's length
is nearing 40'.

How are the engines configured? One or two 2 truck locos, well weighted,
ought to be able to pull well in excess of 20 4 axle cars on a level track,
even through curves (people run way more than that but this is easy to
achieve). So your configuration may not be ideal. The stock 4561 loco is a
terrible puller, it has way too little weight on the drive wheels.

<snip>

++Lar

Thanks, Larry.

I'm using a 2 motor engine and a 1 motor engine.  Both are ~24 stud MOCs.  I
suppose I should swap some motors around to see if there are problems with
the motors I'm using.  I first tried just the 2 motor engine to pull the 4
cars, and it couldn't cut it.

Re: Lubricating axels, etc.