 Trains / 11872
Re: New Train Sets #10013 and #10014
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 23:29:15 GMT

John Neal wrote:

Christopher Masi wrote:

snip my (Chris's) critique of the new trains

the source of some substantial building issues. (By the way, does this mean LEGO
is now officially making trains 8 studs wide ;)[1]

snip more of my critique of the new trains

Two things bother me about this line of trains. (1) The extensive use of the 4x6
double sided roof piece in the caboose (10014) and the coach (10017). I'd rather
have more flexible (use wise) parts. (2) These aren't "normal" train sets. It
seems that LEGO direct is interested in LEGO trains, but LEGO (normal) isn't.
Unless models like the caboose are included in the LEGO catalogues that go into
the regular models I worry that a lot of potential buyers will be missed. So,
the train line will not sell as well as it could, and LEGO "normal" will
continue to neglect trains.

Okay, Chris, now here are 2 things I *like* about this line of trains.
(1) Their ability to appeal to 2 different groups.  These trains are fairly basic and
can appeal to kids and AFOLs who enjoy running stock LEGO trains-- they look good
enough to run out of the box (as opposed to, say, the 4561, 4533, etc).  They also have
appeal to LTDs and other AFOLs who crave specialty train parts such as the 1x2x3 green
train window or the 1x2x2 black thin wall with clear pane; or parts in new colors, such
as the 1x2 green log brick, or the 1x2 clear plate.

(2) Their price points.  These sets are relatively cheap, which is good for LTDs and
parts bursters alike.  This, actually, addresses one of your complaints about the roof
piece.  I guess I don't mind the POOPs, because they are keeping the overall price
down.  For me, I see these sets as beefed up parts packs.  Except for a few choice
elements, most of the set is extraneous, so the cheaper the better.  For someone
willing to run a set out of the box unchanged, I think that it wouldn't be an issue
anyway.

As far as LEGO's interest in trains goes, it does appear that LD has taken the mantle
of the trains theme and is running with it.  What is good about that is that when these
and other offerings do well, it *will* spark the interest of "LEGO normal", and that
means financially *justifiable* reasons to augment the 45xx line (which presumably
would mean new parts, track? etc).

But even if "LEGO normal" continues to neglect 9 volt, it wouldn't be so bad, because
it is my understanding that LD can accomplish most of what "LEGO normal" can anyway.

-John

Chris

1. I got this one for you John :)

Hi John,

  I just wanted to make certain that every one knew that I brought you into this
as a joke. I got the 8 stud wide comment in so you wouldn't have to.

  You make some very good points. In the end, LEGO is making trains, and the
prices are reasonable, so it is a step in the right direction. (The song "Follow
the Yellow BRICK Road" just popped into my head. How appropriate:)

Chris
--
See some of my LEGO creations at http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/