 Trains / 11830
Re: New Train Sets #10013 and #10014
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 13:47:44 GMT

Robin Werner wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Wayne Sardullo writes:
I was @ LEGO S@H today and just found new trains to go with the My own train
stuff...

Set #10013  Open Frieght Wagon  16.99
Set #10014  Caboose 14.99

Enjoy and pass on the info   apparently its not avaliable yet.

Wayne

Wow! It looks like LEGO is getting back to trains. I didn't think they would
add more stuff this soon and they look good! Keep it coming LEGO! Thing are
looking better in the world of LEGO trains...

Build on...
Robin
www.gfltc.org

The set I like the most out of these new ones is the caboose

http://shop.lego.com/images/products/TYPE10/set384x288us010013.jpg

eh, it is OK. The ends are on backwards (in my mind the tall support things
should slope inwards and be square on the inside edge).

http://shop.lego.com/images/products/TYPE10/set384x288us010014.jpg

This one is very cute. I bet it will sell well. If it was in stores (with more
train stuff) it could really attract new train builders.

http://shop.lego.com/images/products/TYPE10/set384x288us010015.jpg

Why did they used stacked 1x1 round bricks. I wonder if they tried thinner
supports, like the ones on 10013, but changed their minds. Hm, 1x2x3
windows...that will make it hard to sit minifigs next to the windows; won't it?

http://shop.lego.com/images/products/TYPE10/set384x288us010016.jpg

Not bad. I don't think a real good solution for using these pieces in a tank car
yet. The pieces are attractive because of their roundness but their roundness is
the source of some substantial building issues. (By the way, does this mean LEGO
is now officially making trains 8 studs wide ;)[1]

http://shop.lego.com/images/products/TYPE10/set384x288us010017.jpg

Interesting design, and it looks like it can be emptied from the sides. I don't
know if I like the color scheme. I am leaning towards I don't like the color scheme.

Two things bother me about this line of trains. (1) The extensive use of the 4x6
double sided roof piece in the caboose (10014) and the coach (10017). I'd rather
have more flexible (use wise) parts. (2) These aren't "normal" train sets. It
seems that LEGO direct is interested in LEGO trains, but LEGO (normal) isn't.
Unless models like the caboose are included in the LEGO catalogues that go into
the regular models I worry that a lot of potential buyers will be missed. So,
the train line will not sell as well as it could, and LEGO "normal" will
continue to neglect trains.

Chris

1. I got this one for you John :)

--