 Technic / 9843
Re: Working LEGO Clock Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 23:26:45 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ray Sanders writes:
In lugnet.technic, Chris Phillips writes:
The really tricky part (once I understood how to build a clock that would
keep running) was to fit everything into the available space.  And to keep
rebuilding it every time the weight dragged it off my workbench...

- Chris.

Have you considered using one (or more) of the pullback motors as an
alternative power source to the weight on a string ?  I believe the larger
pullbacks (32283) have a technic axle-hole for the take off.

Ray

Yes.  I tried the pull-back motor, but it could only run a lightly-geared
clock for a very short time before it lost its oomph.  I also tried
stretching the white bungee cords >>theme music of Wile E. Coyote in the
background<< over pulleys, but had the same problem.  >>sound of anvil
hitting Chris in the head<<  When you store energy in a spring you get less
torque out as the spring relaxes, and past a certain point it can't spin all
the gears.

A weight on a pulley loses a very small amount of torque as the string winds
off the pulley (and its effective radius decreases) but not nearly to the
degree that power tapers in a spring.

I'm actually following a suggestion that came from Dan and Jenn Boger, and
looking at ways to run it with a motor and battery box.  This shows the most
promise right now for any pure LEGO solution to power the clock.

At least until LEGO comes out with a potato in a glass of water...

- Chris.