 Technic / 9831
Re: Working LEGO Clock Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 12:48:17 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Eric Harshbarger writes:

Good job. Even since recently annoucing that I got my grandfather clock up to
30 mours in weight/runtime, I still have frustrations with it (it now decides
to stop at will, etc).

The 4-face gearworks is a great innovation.

eric

Wow, thanks!

I found that every time I rebuilt the mechanism (and I did this a bit more
often than I would have chosen) I had to go through a whole checklist to
make sure that there were no friction problems in the gear train and that
the walls of the gearbox were square.  I also found my clock to be somewhat
susceptible to small variations in the leveling of the mechanism and that
these problems could sometimes be compensated for by putting the pendulum
off-balance.  When it has one of these problems it runs intermittently.  But
when it's set up properly I have actually had difficulty stopping the clock
-- the pendulum can sometimes start swinging again just from the drag of the
weight!

- Chris.