 Technic / 9786
Re: Working LEGO Clock Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 16:54:58 GMT

In lugnet.technic, John Gerlach writes:
In lugnet.announce.moc, Chris Phillips writes:
I am working on a complete write-up about this project, but here are a few
preliminary pictures:

<snip>
Have you considered making the tower more 'open', so people can see the
mechanism?  Maybe build the clock faces using clear bricks?

This is too clever (and too much work!) to hide...  :-)

JohnG, GMLTC

As you might imagine, the gears are packed in there pretty tight.  I built
the tower from the outside in: I decided how large it could be before it
would look out-of-scale and then I tried like crazy to fit four clock faces
in there.  This is pretty much four copies of Leo's clock face with their
minute hands tied together.  The gear train is functionally equivalent to
Eric's grandfather clock, and I am using the new 8-tooth propellor gear as
the escapement gear.  The pendulum is a bit different in that it pivots from
below the escapement gear.

The building is very loosely modeled after a historic building in my town
that burned to the ground several years ago, except for the clock tower
which still stands to this day.  I still miss eating breakfast at the local
greasy spoon that was one of their busiest tennants.

The really tricky part (once I understood how to build a clock that would
keep running) was to fit everything into the available space.  And to keep
rebuilding it every time the weight dragged it off my workbench...

- Chris.