 Technic / 9807
Re: Working LEGO Clock Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 11:53:29 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Tobbe Arnesson writes:
Not that I care whether Larry believes that my clock isn't a hoax, but I
have posted a couple of .AVI files that I shot today with my Vision Command
camera.  Of course in my eyes, any footage I've ever shot with that thing
looks as if it oughtta have a guy in a bigfoot costume wandering around in
the background, so these movies might not convince anyone anyway.

Sorry about the large downloads!  ClockFace.avi is 632K, and TickTock.avi is
a whopping 5.9M.

UFO spotted!!!

Yeah, but did you notice that the UFO is being piloted by Elvis?

Way cool clock! Must have been a nightmare to fit the gears in there, but the
weight gave you practise I've read - I bet you can paint the walls in an
apartment through the door mailbox by now :)

Well if the door is made out of LEGO and I can take it apart whenever I need
to dip the brush...

It actually wasn't all that bad to fit everything in there.  It initially
took me four full days to build a basic clock mechanism that worked, but it
only took me a day to build the four-face clock and another day to re-work
the clock mechanism to fit into the vertical space of the tower shaft.  Add
one more day of making the rest of the building and its display shelf and
shrubbery.  Not only did I build the clock from the outside in, but I also
built it from the top down.

It really was a very interesting project.  It forced me to dust off brain
cells that I haven't used since Physics 101.  It also reminded me why I went
into software instead of hardware...

- Chris.