 Technic / 9835
Re: Working LEGO Clock Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 15:25:03 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Chris Phillips writes:
In lugnet.technic, Jorge Fernandez writes:

For the next show, you could build a replica of the clock mechanism and have
it handy, so you can show it to people without having to mess with the tower.

That's a good idea.  I made the roof lift off easily, but since the clock
was in the middle of the layout nobody could look inside anyway.  Maybe next
time we can put it closer to the outer edge of the layout somehow.  >>sound
of gears grinding<<  Have to give that some more thought.  Good thing I have
a whole two months before the next show-- luxury!!!

Having an extra mechanism on hand for closer inspection would be a good
idea, too.  I'll have to think of a way to build one that puts the guts on
display.  It is pretty cool to watch it run.

I think that's a really great idea ... I definitely think this item receives
the "most underappreciated MOC" award for the show.  It is truly a marvel, but
tough to really convey easily to the crowd.

In downtown Concord NH, there's a huge town clock (pendulum and weight),
encased in all glass walls.  You can watch the mechanism running ... maybe
that's the sort of design that could work?  Use clear 1x4x3 panel pieces to
build up the walls of the clock tower, with the exception of where the clock
axles need to project through?  I count your clock at 12 studs wide ... make it
14, and you're easily set!  Three 1x4x3 panels across on each side, plus a
stack of 1x1s in the corners.

I'd really love for you to be able to draw more attention to this ... it's
spectacular.

-s