 Technic / 9788
Re: Working LEGO Clock Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 17:11:30 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.announce.moc, Chris Phillips writes:
Inspired by the works of Leo Dorst and Eric Harshbarger, I set out to build
a working clock mechanism in a form factor that could be displayed on a
train layout.  The result of this two-week effort is my LEGO Clock Tower,
which made its debut on NELUG's train layout at the Greenberg train show
this past weekend.  Except for a two-pound weight and a length of cotton
twine, the entire clock mechanism is made out of unmodified, non-electric
LEGO pieces.

I am working on a complete write-up about this project, but here are a few
preliminary pictures:

Wow is that cool. So what kind of comments from the audience did it get?
This seems like a really neat thing to have at a show, that's for sure.

spotlighted.

When I built it, the tick-tock noise seemed deafening.  But at the train
show, with the crowd, the trains, and all the other motorized stuff we had,
you couldn't hear it from outside the layout.  We had a mind-numbing layout
with three trains and a monorail running at all times, two wireless cameras,
a lighthouse, no fewer than five animated amusement park rides, and a parade
with two motorized floats, not to mention five level crossings with lights
and gates.

The audience didn't generally notice it unless it was pointed out to them.
I think one person looked at the clock and said "Look at the clock."  Then
looked at his watch "Hey, it's even right!" without someone pointing out
that the clock was fully functional.  It needs a second hand or a big bell,
I guess...

When it was pointed out to people they seemed to think it was pretty cool.
I took it apart a few times to show people how it works, but I was trying to
let it run continuously and undisturbed as much as possible during the show.