 Technic / 12223
Re: Hex363
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:33:42 GMT

Amazing, Stunning, Fantastic, Spectacular........

None of these do this creation justice Kevin!  That is by far the most
complicated Lego creation I have ever seen!  Makes me want to go out and buy
10 backhoe sets.  :)

So, when will the K.C. Mastering Lego Pneumatics Handbook be coming out?
Pre-order my copy today.  :)

Greg

"Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message
  I pleased to announce my newest pneumatic walker, hex363.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/phd/p3180016.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/phd/p3180020.jpg

http://www.kclague.net/hex363/hex363.MOV

Hex363 is similar in pneumatic circuit design to Quad242
(http://www.kclague.net/Quad242/index.htm)

  Hex363 is completely pneumatic.  Hex363 is a pneumatic sequencer that • can walk
forward.  Each leg can extend to the ground, or contract to lift itself • off the
ground.  It does this using a single large piston and two pneumatic • switches.
Each leg can sweep right and left using a single large piston and two • switches.

  Hex363's six legs are split into two groups of three legs.  When a given
group's three legs are extended to touch the ground, the footprint of • those feet
form a triangle.  The center of gravity of hex363 always stays within the
triangles formed by the down feet.  This allows hex363 to have very small • feet.

  As hex363 walks it either has one or both feet groups on the ground at a • time.
When hex363 wants to transfer weight from one foot group to the other, it • places
all six feet on the ground, and then lifts the feet that are not to be • weight
bearing.  Once three of the feet are retracted, it sweeps all six hips
horizontally to take a step.  Hex363 then places all six feet on the • ground, and
transfer's weight to the other three feet by lifting the legs that were • weight
bearing.  Once the feet are retracted, it sweeps the hips horizontally to
complete a stride.  Once the hip sweep is complete, hex363 puts all six • feet on
the ground.  It repeats the above pattern over and over to walk forwards.

  Hex363 contains a total of 12 large pistons, four small pistons, and 26
pneumatic switches.

  I had shown images of hex363 in the past, but until today it did not • walk
correctly.  I finally figured out what was wrong, rewired the foot sweep • portion
of the circuit and it walked forward.

  Timing diagram and circuit description is described rather tersly in • this
image http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/phd/circuit.jpg

  hex363 is the most complicated pneumatic design I've ever created.

  PLMKWYT,

Kevin