 Technic / 12212
Re: Hex363
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:53:53 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Lindsay Frederick Braun wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
  I pleased to announce my newest pneumatic walker, hex363.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/phd/p3180016.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/phd/p3180020.jpg

http://www.kclague.net/hex363/hex363.MOV

Hex363 is similar in pneumatic circuit design to Quad242
(http://www.kclague.net/Quad242/index.htm)

[snip]

hex363 is the most complicated pneumatic design I've ever created.

PLMKWYT,

I think you're a very scary man, Kevin.

Lindsay,

  Thanks, I think. LOL!

That walker is absolutely *brilliant*.  I don't normally
check out the .technic or .robotics side of things, but
today I'm very glad I did.  That is absolutely incredible--
and not least of the achievements is keeping it looking so
very nice.  The design is very sound--how robust is it?
Have you tried getting it to bear a load on its back (as
the triangular foot groups and internal center of gravity
might allow)?  It seems like it would be very sure-footed
generally.  How does it handle inclines or obstacles?

Just wow.  Wow.

Thanks very much!  The vertical strength of the legs is quite robust.  Plenty of
force and good leverage to hold weight.  The weakness in the design is the
structural stability associated with the leg sweeping.  There seems to be a lot
of twisting happening leading to the leg not remaining vertical through the
weight bearing leg sweep.  I suspect that this twisting would be made worse with
more weight.  I would like to make it structurally robust enough to hold an RCX,
three motors, and a pneumatic compressor.

I'm sure it would do fine on mild inclines.  But as the inclines get steeper,
the twisting of the legs will be a problem.  I'll have to try some obstacles,
but I imagine it should do well.  Possibly a suspension would help even more
with obstacles (allowing feet to touch even when other feet are higher off the
ground due to obstacles.

Hex363 is the first phase of a two phase project.  As soon as I receive my
bricklink order that has more pneumatic switches, I'll start phase two of the
project.

all best

LFB

Thanks, I appreciate the input.