 Technic / 12210
12209  |  12211
Subject:
Hex363
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:22:57 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

  I pleased to announce my newest pneumatic walker, hex363.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/phd/p3180016.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/phd/p3180020.jpg

http://www.kclague.net/hex363/hex363.MOV

Hex363 is similar in pneumatic circuit design to Quad242
(http://www.kclague.net/Quad242/index.htm)

  Hex363 is completely pneumatic.  Hex363 is a pneumatic sequencer that can walk
forward.  Each leg can extend to the ground, or contract to lift itself off the
ground.  It does this using a single large piston and two pneumatic switches.
Each leg can sweep right and left using a single large piston and two switches.

  Hex363's six legs are split into two groups of three legs.  When a given
group's three legs are extended to touch the ground, the footprint of those feet
form a triangle.  The center of gravity of hex363 always stays within the
triangles formed by the down feet.  This allows hex363 to have very small feet.

  As hex363 walks it either has one or both feet groups on the ground at a time.
When hex363 wants to transfer weight from one foot group to the other, it places
all six feet on the ground, and then lifts the feet that are not to be weight
bearing.  Once three of the feet are retracted, it sweeps all six hips
horizontally to take a step.  Hex363 then places all six feet on the ground, and
transfer's weight to the other three feet by lifting the legs that were weight
bearing.  Once the feet are retracted, it sweeps the hips horizontally to
complete a stride.  Once the hip sweep is complete, hex363 puts all six feet on
the ground.  It repeats the above pattern over and over to walk forwards.

  Hex363 contains a total of 12 large pistons, four small pistons, and 26
pneumatic switches.

  I had shown images of hex363 in the past, but until today it did not walk
correctly.  I finally figured out what was wrong, rewired the foot sweep portion
of the circuit and it walked forward.

  Timing diagram and circuit description is described rather tersly in this
image http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/phd/circuit.jpg

  hex363 is the most complicated pneumatic design I've ever created.

  PLMKWYT,

Kevin