 Technic / 11717
Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 22:01:46 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
   Hi All, I just snapped some pictures of my latest MOC. It is a pneumatic quadraped that has an advanced walking gait made completely out of lego pneumatics. Instant walking, just add air pressure.

Perfect!

Quad242’s front left and back right legs are paired together, so that they both move up and down, as well as forward backward at the same time. Quad242’s front right and back left legs are also paired.

Way to go!

My goal with this quad was to make the pneumatics sequence in a way that the two leg pairs never transition up/down at the same time. Typically, one pair of legs are weight bearing, and the other pair are off the ground. Quad242 transitions the non-weight bearing legs down to weight bearing, before it takes the next leg pair off the ground. This means the body of the quad does not raise and lower as the quad walks. Quad242 uses a six stage sequence to achieve this walking, as shown in this picture

Facinating!

   Quad242 starts in the upper left hand picture with all four feet on the ground. The sequence is top row, left to right, and then bottom row left to right. One Quad242 makes it to the lower right picture, it restarts the sequence in the upper right picture.

Quad242 is comprised of 10 pistons, and 19 pneumatic switches.

The pneumatic circuit was designed on paper in my LEGO log book. Here is the page. I’ll be describing these rather cryptic drawings on my web site http://www.users.qwest.net/~kclague very soon.

Intense!

   I also have to buy myself a camcorder so I can make movies.

More pictures of Quad242 are available here

PLMKWYT.

Kevin

Can I build a Mecha Sheith for it? An outer skin? Can I can I!

Question: Any entertainment for a Tail of some sort to study the effect during articulation?

Nice work.