 Technic / 11586
  Pneumatic Quadraped 242

Hi All, I just snapped some pictures of my latest MOC. It is a pneumatic quadraped that has an advanced walking gait made completely out of lego pneumatics. Instant walking, just add air pressure. Quad242's front left and back right legs are paired (...) (21 years ago, 13-Nov-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242

(...) Wow, that's massive! And a video of at least one cycle would be helpful :) Why the large footprint? (21 years ago, 14-Nov-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242

(...) That happens with large pistons. (...) I knew you would ask :^) (...) So it doesn't tip!?! The center of mass is not always in line with the center of the footprint, so it can tip to one side or the other of the down feet diagonal. Also the (...) (21 years ago, 14-Nov-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242

(...) I've added a total of four polarity reversers and now it can walk forward, backward, and turn right and left (within its own footprint)! The transistions from turning to walking and walking to turning involves flipping two of the polarity (...) (21 years ago, 14-Nov-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242

(...) As you wish: (URL) Quad242 walking forward. (URL) Quad242 turning left I've got two more but I'm having trouble uploading them.... I'll let you know when I get them uploaded. Kevin (21 years ago, 15-Nov-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242

Does anyone know what is going on at BrickShelf with regard to movie files? I sent email to the webmaster but haven't gotten a reply. Jona LEGO Robotics Group of Ann Arbor (URL) (21 years ago, 16-Nov-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242

(...) Mike Thorn tells us that movies are only available on Brickshelf during low bandwidth hours. I'm working on a website that does not depend on Brickshelf to hold my movies. I hope to have that up in a week. (...) (21 years ago, 17-Nov-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242

(...) Thanks. I hadn't heard that yet and I have to say it is dissapointing, but totally understandable. Jona LEGO Robotics Group of Ann Arbor (URL) (21 years ago, 17-Nov-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242

I got a new web site with plenty of room, so I've uploaded Quad242 movies. The website is (URL) As usual, my creations are listed in chronological order, so Quad242 ((URL) is at the end of the creation list. There are movies for walking forward and (...) (20 years ago, 24-Nov-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242

Thanks, Kevin, quadraped explanations are very interesting, and you sequencer paper is a "must read" !!! Philo (20 years ago, 24-Nov-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242

(...) Cool! Would it benefit from turntables between the feet and legs? These turntable 2 x 2: (URL) these turntable 4 x 4: (URL) like it looses alot of traction, perhaps if the foot could remain more still it would be better? (20 years ago, 24-Nov-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242

(...) Thanks Tobbe! (...) How would turntables help the design? Right now the whole thing is studless except for the feet. To use the studly turntables would require major framework redesign (not that that is a bad thing :^) You are right it is not (...) (20 years ago, 24-Nov-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242

(...) Thanks Philo! So far the feedback on the sequencer paper has been positive. Now that I've learned enough to write that paper, I'm prepared to make some really complicated pneumatic circuits. The cornerstone of the sequencer design methodology (...) (20 years ago, 24-Nov-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics)

  Simulating pneumatic sequencers, was Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242

(...) Hi Kevin and all, I wanted to experiment with your sequencers without fussing too much with time consuming building, so I used simulation... I used a free electronics simulator, CircuitMaker Student ((URL) Piston + switch are equivalent to an (...) (20 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Simulating pneumatic sequencers, was Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242

(...) Philo, Hey! Great stuff! I've been aware of the electrical equivalence, but not mentioned it. Maybe if you put capacitors in series at the inputs of each flop, your test points might have less vertical slope. I'll probably use the simulator to (...) (20 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Simulating pneumatic sequencers, was Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242

(...) Philo, Have you seen this? (URL) amazingly like your SR flop schematics. Kevin (...) (20 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Simulating pneumatic sequencers, was Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242

(...) To do that you have to use the simulator in analog mode, I'm not sure it would work on that kind of circuit (and if it did the simulation would be MUCH slower) Philo (20 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242

(...) Perfect! (...) Way to go! (...) (URL) Facinating! (...) Intense! (...) Can I build a Mecha Sheith for it? An outer skin? Can I can I! Question: Any entertainment for a Tail of some sort to study the effect during articulation? Nice work. e (...) (20 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242

(...) Thanks Eric! (...) Sure! (...) I just ordered up 20 small pistons to make one that is faster. I should add head and tail. I wonder if a tail and a head can be articulated so I can reduce foot side. (...) Thanks Eric. (...) Very cool Eric! (...) (20 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: Simulating pneumatic sequencers, was Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242

(...) Philo, I downloaded the tools, and entered the base schematic for Quad242. Quad242 depends on some initial conditions where 4 of the 5 flops have a value of 1. I've read the docs and not found a way to preset the flops. Any ideas? Your choice (...) (20 years ago, 28-Nov-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Simulating pneumatic sequencers, was Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242

(...) Hi Kevin, Here is a simple circuit that also require some initialisation: (URL) didn't find the digital equivalent of the .IC (initial condition) used in analog simulations, but if you use the probe tool (arrow on the screen capture) and click (...) (20 years ago, 28-Nov-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242

(...) snip (...) I started working on articulated head and tail. Quad242 has a very large footprint, and walks inefficiently. One of the reasons for large feet is center of gravity. The center of gravity on Quad242 is just a little behind the center (...) (20 years ago, 1-Dec-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics, FTX)