 Technic / 11745
Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 16:25:55 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Eric Sophie wrote:
   In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:

snip

Can I build a Mecha Sheith for it? An outer skin? Can I can I!

Question: Any entertainment for a Tail of some sort to study the effect during articulation?

I started working on articulated head and tail. Quad242 has a very large footprint, and walks inefficiently.

One of the reasons for large feet is center of gravity. The center of gravity on Quad242 is just a little behind the center of the body (because of the two extra pistons on the back.) When two feet are down, the feet form a folcrum that Quad242 has to balance on. A diagonal drawn between the two down feet does not intersect the center of gravity, so the feet have to be big enough to cover the center of gravity.

Articulated head and tail will help move the center of gravity closer to the folcrum. The head and tail will be able to move forward and back, as well as side to side. By proper placement of head and tail when two feet are down I might be able to get the center of gravity onto the folcrum with much smaller feet.

The head/tail will have to move forward/backward twice each cycle (once for each down pair of feet), so this has made me enhance my sequential design techniques. It looks good on paper, but I’ve yet to build the prototype circuit. I’ll update my sequencial design page if (when) it works.)

It is probably time to break out the artistic part of my creative brain and make it look like some cool creature. The current structure makes me think of a komodo dragon or some large lumbering dinosaur. We’ll see after I prototype a head and a tail.

Nice work.

As always, your designs are beautiful. I will attempt to acheive this scale of beauty.

Dare I ask how many RCXs, sensors, motors, pistons and switches your hexapod contains? It looks like a lot of stuff.

Quad242 uses 10 pistons and about 20 switches. 2 switches per piston seems typical for my self synchronizing sequential designs.

I just ordered 24 small pistons from PITSCO ($11 for small piston, small pump and 3 hoses). Merry Christmas to me! I plan on making a smaller and faster quad242. I might have to get some more small pistons for head and tail.

Kevin