 Technic / 11586

Subject:
Pneumatic Quadraped 242
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:27:05 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi All,
  I just snapped some pictures of my latest MOC.  It is a pneumatic quadraped
that has an advanced walking gait made completely out of lego pneumatics.
Instant walking, just add air pressure.

  Quad242's front left and back right legs are paired together, so that they
both move up and down, as well as forward backward at the same time.  Quad242's
front right and back left legs are also paired.

  My goal with this quad was to make the pneumatics sequence in a way that the
two leg pairs never transition up/down at the same time.  Typically, one pair of
legs are weight bearing, and the other pair are off the ground.  Quad242
transitions the non-weight bearing legs down to weight bearing, before it takes
the next leg pair off the ground.  This means the body of the quad does not
raise and lower as the quad walks.  Quad242 uses a six stage sequence to achieve
this walking, as shown in this picture:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/Quad242/q242-sequence.jpg

Quad242 starts in the upper left hand picture with all four feet on the ground.
The sequence is top row, left to right, and then bottom row left to right.  One
Quad242 makes it to the lower right picture, it restarts the sequence in the
upper right picture.

Quad242 is comprised of 10 pistons, and 19 pneumatic switches.

The pneumatic circuit was designed on paper in my LEGO log book.  Here is the
page.  I'll be describing these rather cryptic drawings on my web site
http://www.users.qwest.net/~kclague very soon.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/Quad242/quad242-design.jpg

I also have to buy myself a camcorder so I can make movies.

More pictures of Quad242 are available here after moderation:

PLMKWYT.

Kevin

Re: Pneumatic Quadraped 242