 Technic / 11159
Re: Pneumatic Magic Presetnation Maertials
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 05:15:57 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford wrote:

Whew! Glad we got that worked out! But that contradicts what you say in the PPT
presentation, as I pointed out originally!
http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=11127

Live and learn!  I thank all who patiently explained my error.

Happy to play my part!

I'll fix and
update.  That is what I love about LEGO, learning and discovery.  I'm a computer
engineer, not a physicist, and the things I make are highly physical.  In this
case, incomplete comprehension of the theory got in the way of practical
understanding.

LOL! Well I'm sure I've heard of Pascal's Law, but didn't remeber the theory, it
was just a "gut feeling" that it didn't seem right!

Not to start this all over, but because the contract face has less area, under
*heavy* load conditions, *I think* that expansion can be faster than contraction
because of the minor extra force the expand face provides.

I've also been a bit worried about putting a big load on the contract stroke,
because of the possibility of leakage around the connecting rod. Although the
LEGO pistons seem to be *very* well sealed [1], it always struck me as a weak
point...

The biggest issue when fully expanded is leverage to the side which can lead to
leakage.  I've experienced it once in a while.

Kevin

ROSCO

[1] Which no doubt increases the friction. I guess life is full of compromise...
I think LEGO probably compromised in the right direction in this case - you can
always build a bigger compressor ;)